Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Fuel Injection to Carb opinions

Old 09-30-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection to Carb opinions

I am converting my 89 motor to a carb setup...as of right now i am going to do an offenhauser port-o-sonic, and a 650 oduble pumper. I already have edelbrock performer heads, custom crower cam, and all other bolt-on pieces.

Just kind of wondering what everyone think about the switch. Performance wise really. From whatever anyone has ever said, they said their car ran a whole lot better after going carb. Planning on also doing a 150shot plate system

Yucko the Clown: Girl: "I'm from Chicago so we take the ACT" Yucko: "Oh, why don't you S-I-T on my F-A-C-E."
Yucko the Clown: "Nice Shirt, that come with a dick in your mouth?"
Originally posted by Shagwell
"I ran into my ex-girlfriend the other day....so I backed up and ran into her again..."
www.mustangmotorsportsinc.com
Old 09-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Called the amba lamps

I have never done that conversion, but I believe fuel injection is way better... there is a reason that carbs are old technology and FI is new...

I just can't see the benefits....
Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM
ODB
S.Y.L.O.

Originally Posted by **CHRIS**
but I believe fuel injection is way better... there is a reason that carbs are old technology and FI is new...

I just can't see the benefits....
uh oh!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:37 PM
I gota Cheby

Is your car going to be a track car? Then maybe yes I would do carb for simplicity. Seems like you have some good parts already so Im not sure how much of a gain you would see. Biggest concern for me would be driveabilty. 11's and efi is easy for a daily driver but carb I would think gas mileage would suck at that level of times.

Only 1/4 mile track I know is Gandy Bridge
Old 09-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Redneck Yatchclub member

This is an age old topic and you will get a shit load of differant answers. IMO go with what you are comfortable with....
Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I can fix your bullshit

Ill Say It Again Fool Injection Was Not Made For Performance It Was Designed For Efficiency Not Performance Unless You Spend A Few Thousand On A Fast Management System And Endless Hours Tuning It You Might As Well Go Home Ftw Carb For The Win Set Up Correctly You Should Feel No Difference In Driveability At All Until You Hit The Go Pedal Then Hold On Thats All Im Sayin Good Luck With You Project Sounds Like Your Making A Good Move
Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Called the amba lamps

If carbs are the best answer for tuning a car to it's best performance, why does Warren Johnson have the loudest voice advocating fuel injection in Pro Stock racing..NHRA style?

Yeah...

Bottom line, yes, go with what you feel comfortable with...

< is laughing @ Pat's can O' worms...
Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 PM

I can vouch for what John is saying, first hand, as I saw it in a car that is at his shop! Shaun (Na306StAnG) had a Carb on his setup... I dogged it, bad mouthed it, talked shit, telling him how it's ridiculous that you have to pump the gas, all that shit - change the jets, or whatever, tune them daily, blah blah blah.

Then he walked over to his car, stuck his hand through the window (car was cold, hadn't been moved since the night before when I was there if not longer) and stuck the key in the ignition, turned it over, and the car fired up right there. First shot.

Open mouth, insert foot.

All I'm saying is that particular situation made a little more of a believer out of me. Instead of Shaun bashing my EFI thoughts, and/or sticking up for his Carb thoughts - he just showed me the opposite of what I had thought was true... Seeing is believing for me I guess.

At any rate, what the point is that I'm trying to make is this: If you go Carb - and you are familiar with them, and understand them, and can get the car to run right and be tuned right - then they're SIMPLE. The combo will weigh a little less than your current EFI setup (after removal of injectors, tubing, harnesses, computers, etc) also.

I've got an EFI setup, with a stand alone. I'll play with that, see what the car does, and if I like it - keep it. If not, I'm not going to rule out the possiblity of going carb and spray.

-Jo$h
Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Called the amba lamps

Originally Posted by MiDiablo
The combo will weigh a little less than your current EFI setup (after removal of injectors, tubing, harnesses, computers, etc) also.
I doubt that the weight savings you'd get from a carb steup would have any effect on elapsed time. The proper tuning benefits far outweigh any weight savings.

With carbs, you have to constantly change jet sizes depending on the weather....if you have consistency as your goal.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 PM
You can thank me later...

I did this conversion back in 1993. Keeping all other parts that I could the same during the conversion I gained half a second in the 1/4 and about 5 mph..

People can say what they want about carbs but I see more efi carbs fighting "tuning issues" than I see with properly set up carb cars.
PM or E-mail Me If you are Looking To Buy/Sell/Rent A Home.
Special TR Bonus For Using My Services.