Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Removing Door handles/locks and trunk lock

Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Thread TERRORIST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Door handles/locks and trunk lock

I need to get the door handles and door locks out of my 86 Mustang. I also need to get the trunk lock out. I see rivets and whatnot behind them (I think)...so do I just drill out the rivets, or is it more complex? Can't find any help with this online...anyone have any insight?

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 AM
20+

The door handles are just the two rivets under the handle, just drill and slide the assembly off the rod inside the door--the locks should have a lock nut threaded on the outside of the tumbler holding it to the door
Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by 20+
The door handles are just the two rivets under the handle, just drill and slide the assembly off the rod inside the door--the locks should have a lock nut threaded on the outside of the tumbler holding it to the door
Fo shizzle. Thanks!

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 AM

dont let your drill walk...its no good for the paint
Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by fakesnake
dont let your drill walk...its no good for the paint
Not painted yet. But I'll take pics once it gets painted. Its suppossed to be show quality - some new Matrix paint or something.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 AM
ZAP yo dumb ass!!!!

You're gonna have fun trying not to hit the door handle with the drill bit. That was my biggest problem when removing the door handles.

RIP Jason Harrill 6-12-06: Died doing what he loved

Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Thread TERRORIST

I'm shit with a drill, too...this is gonna be fun. Ugh, its so fucking hot out I can't even get started until like 4PM...I HATE this time of year...I've been ready since 1.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 PM
ZAP yo dumb ass!!!!

^^^ Dude I am the same way. Nothing gets done on my cars during the summer just because of the fact that is too farking hot. I wait till the sun goes down before I touch it. haha

RIP Jason Harrill 6-12-06: Died doing what he loved

Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM
20+

use a punch and smack the little rod through the rivet and whallla you have a centered hole on the rivet and no way for the bit to walk
Old 06-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by 20+
use a punch and smack the little rod through the rivet and whallla you have a centered hole on the rivet and no way for the bit to walk
Too late...I rounded out a little bit of the hole...no worries though, I'm putting a bolt in it, fuck rivets!

Okay, so for ths doorlock, after I pull off the retaining clip on the inside of it and remove that actuator peice...what the hell do I do now? I've got the lock cylinder sitting there, I can twist it a TINY bit, and have no idea what to do. The more detailed the better, I'm really confused at this point.