Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

performance tips for my fox needed

Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance tips for my fox needed

i need to mod my car a bit first thing is the 87 gt air density or is it mass air and how much would i benifit from a lightning maf and what all is needed to switch it over .. second what kind of headers are better long tubes or shorties ? also im lookin to find a good cold air induction system for decent price so any suggestions are welcome. gotta make her breath . also what heads are on the car stock .. i think it is the e7's .. but not 100 % sure , what other mods are the best bang for the buck and also i have a question about the motor
didnt the 87 gt come with forged internals on the 302 ? and i dont know if the blocks are good for more then 400hp .. something ive seen on here before
i was thinkin about doing a single turbo setup in the future for about 3-500 hp ive heard of some kits that push over 700whp.. on 302 that are daily driven but im not really sure if its possible of course id rebuild the motor but i dont know where to begin .. just inquiring if anyone would know the facts.. i got alot of work to do to make this car nice but i guess it doesnt have to look great if it is fast i dont want it to look nice and be slow thats for sure any advice on mods are very appreciated
thx
-Eric
Old 03-15-2007, 03:26 PM

corral.net and use search button...lots of info there
Old 03-15-2007, 05:31 PM

ok...here we go... first thing you should do is change the rearend gear...something like a 3.73 is usually the best choice...2nd...longtube headers and h or x pipe...3rd a 2 1/2" catback...subframe connectors and a good aftermarket shifter will make the car drive nicer and be more enjoyable...dont waste your money on a cold air kit...especially if you are converting to a mass air system...a mass air conversion would be the next thing...you need a computer( type depends on auto or manual) a computer harness from a 89 5.0( only year that will work) or a mass air conversion harness, and a mass air meter and the tubes, now may be a good time to step up the mass air meter size, injectors and adjustable fuel pressure regulator...next would be an intake with throttle body and spacer...thats just a start ...lemme know if i can help you with anything...

chad
813-784-8248

www.racinginnovationsfl.com
www.xsrcylinderheads.com
4.842@156 and 7.53@192 on radials
Old 03-15-2007, 08:19 PM
BillionClub Member BISHES

^^ True salesman at heart!!^^ But everything he said is VERY TRUE!! And Chad is a great guy that will do you right! Good luck on the build up.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:37 AM
Don't be so angry

^^what he said

John

1992 Mustang LX 5.0-Powerdyne BD-11A, 3.73's, FRPP clutch, chrome Ponies, Mac headers, Aeromotive regulator, MSD 6A, MSD BTM, FRPP 42# injectors, Pro-Flow Air Optimizer, Trick Flow Track Heat intake, Edelbrock 75MM TB, AFM Power Pipe
Old 03-16-2007, 04:59 AM

Personally I would save your money on the intake and throttle body and get a nice set of used trickflow's or AFR's. More bang for the buck.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:04 AM

Just spend the big bucks and put a 04 Cobra drivetrain in it!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 PM

putting a set of heads on a motor with stock intake is not very beneficial for the money...i definitely think heads are a good thing to do...but once everything is right for them...if you can afford to do everything at once...by all means i would include heads...just look how fast SHOW50 went with that stock headed stock short blocked motor...

www.racinginnovationsfl.com
www.xsrcylinderheads.com
4.842@156 and 7.53@192 on radials
Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
bbbblllllaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

the pistons are forged the crank and rods cast I think.

An engine is nothing but a giant pump Its all about how much of a mixture of fuel and air you can pump through it (basically) Pressure comes into account also because the more you compress somthing the more violent the explosion.

Most people start at bolth ends of the car.

The main problem with a buget build on an efi car is you will have to change certain parts several times as the car evolves. IE mass air flow sensor , throttle body , injectors , cam. If you have a plan do it. Search ford tech for sale and the coral for good used parts. Ebay is also a good idea but with more risk. If the car is not a daily driver I would aquire parts and do the build in stages.

For example doing a clutch , gears , shocks , springs and upper and lower control arms would be a great combo to do all at once so your not removing some parts a few times to change others

also doing your air intake , mass air sensor , throttle body , intake , heads and cam all at once will make your life easier. again and while the short block is stripped and light set your long tubes in the car as you make have to life the engine and while you do that motor mounts are a good thing to do also. Thats why you find most here on ford tech will strip a car down and build it from the ground up instead of having it on the road and trying to do it ect
Old 03-16-2007, 09:47 PM

ok.. question .. is it mas air .. inthe 87 or is it air density ? i dont see a mafs or what looks like on where it should be at the end of the intake tube .. so i am guessing that its air density .. and like the dude said above ..where can i get all teh parts i need to do the conversion.. what is the benifit .. and cost average.. i gotta make this car breathe .. then intake system .. upper and lower manifolds.. im lookin for a E303 cam .. some long tube headers and long tube application x or h pipe i have a mac off road h pipe that i can put some cash in trade for a long tube x or h also im lookin for anyone that knows where i can find a decen price on a magnaflow cat back system .. getting ford racing U and L control arms and a new bushing set prothane by energy suspension and ford racing or eibach springs .. or if anyone knows of a decent set of springs shocks and struts combo lemme know ..also i want to get this ugly duckling to look a little better too anyone with masking and priming experience or hookups .. hit me up also i need to see what im lookin at for price wise on that subject.. moving on .. i also would like to find a set of 03 cobra wheels if anyone has a good set
all this is going to take some time and i am trying to find another job asap so i can stack some more chips..but anything right now is appreciated .. all your help is much appreciated
_Eric