Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Exhaust question for mustangs

Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Mitsu SON!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question for mustangs

My 98 GT stock exhaust except for some shitty lookin chrome tips but I am gettin some money and want to do my exhaust.

Exhaust questions:

This is what I have heard I should do H pipe, to 40 series flowmasters, then dumps but a few people said I would lose power from dumps and that I should put the stock exhaust back on after the flows.

1. Is it true i will lose power with dumps?
2. And should I do the H pipe?
3. What exhaust should I go with?

Any help is appreciated new to TR and new to Mustangs thanks for tha help?
If anyone has any questions for me about my motor or car its
a 98 Mustang GT. 4.6 V8

Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 PM

dumps are ok though i dont like do not put the stock back on after the flows put 2.5 in cat back and a h-pipe is fine but for more power go with the orr-road x-pipe good luck

the COUPE that COULD
Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 PM
The sig nazi's bitch...

ummm, did you misspell that quote in your sig on purpose??

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, 6M, Brembos, nav and HIDs
Flowmaster catbacks, K&N drop in, for now!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Mitsu SON!!!

Originally Posted by ShakinIt
ummm, did you misspell that quote in your sig on purpose??
No my friend got on here and originally put in street racing imports instead of street racing and I never really noticed that retarded was spelled wrong! Thanks bro!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Mitsu SON!!!

Originally Posted by 99cobra281
dumps are ok though i dont like do not put the stock back on after the flows put 2.5 in cat back and a h-pipe is fine but for more power go with the orr-road x-pipe good luck

I really don't know and this is prolly a stupid question but what order does this shit go in. Off tha headers like is off road x, then flows, or wat? Tryin to learn help me man!?! Oh thanks for the advice!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Not quite 1337.

Heh, you remind me of when I first came on here. People here grouchy sometimes but you'll learn a lot just be visiting the forums and reading. I'll pass the same advice I was given on to you, read, read a lot. The order of exhaust parts is headers, mid-pipe, then cat-back (sometimes referred to as axle-back). H-pipes and X-pipes are both types of mid-pipes. When someone refers to a type of mid-pipe as "off-road" they mean it lacks catalytic converters. They're not emissions legal but since Florida doesn't have testing not many people care. Which type of pipe you get should be specific to your application. An H-pipe will shift your torque curve lower, and an X-pipe, built for high-flow, will shift it upward. People telling you to get 40-series Flowmasters are telling you to get the muffler, then put back to stock exhaust. Not sure if that works but if you're trying to improve performance you might as well purchase an entire Flowmaster cat-back system. The 40-series 2.5" systems are good starts, I had them on mine and loved the sound. You can upgrade the parts in stages if you like but I'd recommend doing the whole thing at once. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 AM
Mitsu SON!!!

Thanks man I appreciate all ur help i have a pretty good idea of what i'm going to do now.Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Donut Killer

IlAureliuslI gave you some good advise. I will try to add just a bit. H-pipe or X-pipe is a matter of preference. The X-pipes have been shown to work better with the higher reving mod motors. Other that that, it has a little bit of a different sound. It is hard to describe, but to me an X pipe doesn't have that old school sound.

As far as dumps go, that is also another preference. I would not recommend this if you sit in traffic a lot or you have to do a lot of daily driving. The exhaust will come from under the car and you will smell it, especially since you have a vert. If you don't mind it, then no big deal, I'm just trying to let you know. I would suggest keeping your tail pipes, in case you want to put them back on.

Check out Summitracing.com for prices on what you want to do.
4.6L/281, MUSTANG, 1998, FORD, Exhaust - summitracing.com
It looks like you can buy a cat-back system from $300 to $500 and another $200 for an H or X-pipe.

Good Luck

SC Motorsports
11801 State Road 52
Hudson, FL 34669-3092
(727) 856-8768

FordSpeed Racing
11733 66th St., Unit 123
Largo, FL 33773
(727) 549-8255
Dynojet Chassis Dyno
Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 AM
HATES STUPID PEOPLE

OLD MAN!..I got your pics, dash looks great, I decided after pulling everything out of the car to keep what I have and work towards a full black dash, I have one in another car,even thought about swapping them and dying the one in the car now, the other is in the car I gave my EX......She could care less ...anyway, you pulled that from the depths of your stash for me to take pics so I owe you a couple drinks at the next meet.........Bump for the new guy........good luck on the new ride
Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 AM

yea and h-pipe is more deep end has the original mustang sound and the x-pipe has more of a raspy sound both sound great though its all in what u want

the COUPE that COULD