Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Ford reveals Mustang-based concept

Old 01-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Do It In The Dirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford reveals Mustang-based concept

Ford unveils Interceptor, a 4-door Mustang-based car - Jan. 2, 2007

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford Motor Co. will introduce a 4-door, V-8 concept-car carrying most of the mechanical underpinnings of its popular Mustang sports car, the company said in a recent statement.

With its six-speed manual gearbox, low roof-line and massive 22-inch wheels, the design is targeted at driving enthusiasts looking for a bold design but who can't fit the family in a two-door coupe.

Ford's Interceptor, a Mustang-based concept car, mates a 400-hp engine and a solid rear axle with four doors.
The car will be officially unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit next week.

The Interceptor is similar in design and spirit to Chrysler's (Charts) popular Dodge Charger sedan.

"The Interceptor concept is a sedan, but with the heart and soul of a performance car," Freeman Thomas, director of Ford's North American strategic design department, said in a statement.

Powering the square-shouldered sedan is a 400-horsepower Ford Racing 5.0-liter V-8 engine, a variant of the 4.6-liter currently in the Mustang GT. The Interceptor is designed to run on either gasoline or an E85 ethanol blend.

Like the Mustang, the car is rear-wheel drive with a solid rear axle.

Inside, the interceptor boasts a black leather interior with contrasting caramel stitching on the seats.

Other features include a speedometer and tachometer with needles that start at the center and move opposite each other as speed and RPM climb. Ford (Charts) intentionally kept many other extras out of the cabin.

"This car is about restraint, and not clouding the driving experience with too much technology," said Thomas. "There aren't a lot of layers between the driver and the road."

The car's four bucket seats sport four-point seat belts that go over both shoulders. The rear seats have belts that inflate in the event of a crash to minimize belt-related injuries.

My Rail Buggy
Old 01-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Do It In The Dirt

I think its a smart move. Ford needs some cheap to produce hits and this may be their best option. Lord knows Mopar is selling every Charger/300/Magnum they can make right now.

My Rail Buggy
Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 AM
lives in a glass house

I'm going to get blasted here BUT I HATE IT!
400 hp is great but If I wanted a ugly ass Charger I'd buy one.

Originally Posted by cochese
Focus on getting that piece shit down the track, stop posting stories.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 AM
NEEDS A COUPE

They should have just kept the marauder (sp?) and branched it over to the crown vic for ford and been done with it i like that car's stying alot better than the pic of this thing

Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 AM
NEEDS A COUPE

Originally Posted by Just Dave
I think its a smart move. Ford needs some cheap to produce hits and this may be their best option. Lord knows Mopar is selling every Charger/300/Magnum they can make right now.
yes but they had it in the marauder!!!! and i'm with shawn i know its a prototype but that bitch is fucking ugly

p.s. i googled how to spell marauder!! ha ha ha

Old 01-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Do It In The Dirt

Hopefully the production version will look a bit better, but I like the concept behind the car.

And I agree about the Marauder, but, this car will be a good bit smaller and lighter.

They should sell a Mercury version as the Cougar since the first cougar was the "luxury" version of the Mustang.

My Rail Buggy
Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 AM
NEEDS A COUPE

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Hopefully the production version will look a bit better, but I like the concept behind the car.

And I agree about the Marauder, but, this car will be a good bit smaller and lighter.

They should sell a Mercury version as the Cougar since the first cougar was the "luxury" version of the Mustang.
True i agree with you there this one is smaller lighter more ponies etc. and yes ford does need a good swift kick in the ass to get on the train w/ mopar moving every 300/charger in sight

Old 01-02-2007, 11:45 AM
ODB
S.Y.L.O.

That Car Is Fucking Fugly
Old 01-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Thread TERRORIST

Eww...And yeah..make it a 4-door so you can fit the family in it...and give it a solid rear axle! Thats the ticket!

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
NEEDS A COUPE

I still wanna know what ford and toyota were talking about. Google news had it up for a day "possible toyota ford merger" yeah right i heard they were talking about a joint electric pos