Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

'99/'01 Cobra SVT differences... ?

Old 11-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Keep it REAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99/'01 Cobra SVT differences... ?

So I'm thinking of maybe picking up an N/A Cobra because I'm poor and not baller enough to afford a '03/'04.

So I was wondering what were the differences between the '99 and the '01's? I know that the '99 had less power although I don't know exactly how much less. I was wondering if it was worth buying a '99 since I found a REALLY good deal on one or if I should just pick up an '01, or just not pick up either since they are the suckzorz Cobras

Should I just buy a GT?

So what are the differences?

Mazda 2 Forums

R.I.P. Pablo 'Fathead' Garcia - Love you man! See you on the other side!
R.I.P. Kevin 'Slo_Si' Gonzalez - You will be missed!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:47 PM
finally painted the car!

The 99s had a fuel recall but I cant remember exactly what it was. I think the heads are different on both years. Youll have to search on corral or svtperformance to findout. Defiantly go with a 4V. A PI head can't feed a performance 4.6. They make 60 less hp on a stock engine and stop pulling at 1000 less rpm (compared to a cobra). The word performance and 2V 4.6 or 5.4 do not belong in the same sentence...(puts on bunker gear)...

Old 11-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Got traction?

99's were advertised as having 320hp but didn't. More like the 96-98 cobras of 305hp. What they did to fix it was some tuning modified the lower intake and I believe some thing in the exhaust. So when purchasing a 99 you ask the person/dealer if it has had the "fix". Usually marked either under the hood or on the motor somewhere... I think. But after that they are the same as the 01's. N/A's cobras are not to be underestimated. Bolt-ons and some agressive gearing can get you into the 11's on the motor. If you absolutely want a 99/01 get it and swap the IRS to a solid axle. -Mark
Old 11-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Ford F0rum Native

The 01 also has better seats among a few other small details. Their is a huge thread on svtperformance.com discussing all the differences. It's in the new edge section.

Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!
- Matt Frewer
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
George Carlin
When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands.
George Carlin