Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

X pipe with or without cats...

Old 10-26-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X pipe with or without cats...

I have Borla after cat exhaust system on my 03 Cobra, and want to get the X pipe with/without cat exhaust portion.

I was hoping I could get some information and hopefully some opinions on the following questions:
1.) Is the without cats (off road) X pipe exhaust louder than the with cats system?
2.) Can the without cats (off road) X pipe system be driven on the street legally?
3.) What is the most preferred X pipe brand? I'm leaning toward SLP and I may want to eventually get headers, so I want something that will allow that later on.
4.) Is it safe to say any X pipe brand should bolt up to the Borla after cat system?
5.) What other accessories will I need, that may not come with just the X pipe exhaust, such as oxygen sensors extensions?
6.) Will the oxygen sensors need anything to get the max performance from the new exhaust?

Sorry for so many questions, any help is greatly appreciated.
Tony
Old 10-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Thread TERRORIST

1) Yes
2) No
3) Personal Preference. I'd recommend Dr. Gas.
4) Negative. Each model and type of x-pipe is made to bolt up a specific type of header. Come to think of it, why are you attaching an X-pipe to an after-cat system rather than bolting it right up to a set of headers?
5) Probably nothing. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head without more info.
6) They're going to screw up no matter what if you don't have cats, I think. I haven't dealt with the things myself, so I'd get confirmation on that.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by BAMF; 10-26-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by vip18971
1) Yes
2) No
3) Personal Preference. I'd recommend Dr. Gas.
4) Negative. Each model and type of x-pipe is made to bolt up a specific type of header.
5) If its not catted, probably nothing. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head without more info.
6) They're going to screw up no matter what if you don't have cats, I think. I haven't dealt with the things myself, so I'd get confirmation on that.
Thank you for the information.
As far as being illegal to run off road pipes, is that because of the sound or the pollution, or both?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by SVTd
Thank you for the information.
As far as being illegal to run off road pipes, is that because of the sound or the pollution, or both?
Technically any aftermarket exhaust in Florida is illegal. But moreso the pollution caused by not having cats. The noise can definatly get you a ticket if a cop is having a bad day also, though.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Old 10-26-2006, 01:17 PM
ODB
S.Y.L.O.

I would go with an h pipe....x pipes sound like shit
Old 10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by FBP
I would go with an h pipe....x pipes sound like shit
Power > Sound ?

Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 PM
ODB
S.Y.L.O.

Originally Posted by vip18971
Power > Sound ?
I have an x pipe on my 06 and I dont like the rasp.I'm almost tempted to put the catted pipe back in...I can't find any H pipe for it.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Flowmaster nut swinger

Originally Posted by FBP
x pipes sound like shit

Fucking liar!!!!!!!!!
MV#72427
(727)535-6905 - Shaun

Old 10-26-2006, 05:20 PM
ODB
S.Y.L.O.

Originally Posted by Na306StAnG
Fucking liar!!!!!!!!!
I would much rather a H pipe.......the rasp is annoying. It's also a bit strange sounding with the 3V motor...true story...
Old 10-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Flowmaster nut swinger

Originally Posted by FBP
I would much rather a H pipe.......the rasp is annoying. It's also a bit strange sounding with the 3V motor...true story...

I think it sounds like a Ferrari or Porsche the day I heard it, i really like it True story
MV#72427
(727)535-6905 - Shaun