Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

And the piston went poof

Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And the piston went poof

I did a pi swap on my 97 and in the end i blew a hole in #4 piston...The mechanic i had take it all back apart said that late 99 heads wont work because the cam shaft isnt as long on one of the heads and i messing with the chain....I thought all 99 head would fit on a 97 block?When you look at the chain you can see that it was definitly messed up?My question is how much do you think it would cost for me to bring it to a engine place and have it rebuilt and put back together so all i have to do is drop it in...how much for stock internals and forge...also what do you think caused my chain to get all messed up?The timing was off the first time i put the heads off so when the valves broke they left a dent in the pistion and i guess they couldnt handl the compression...any input would help...thanks...John
Old 08-14-2006, 05:38 PM
h9

you my have not set the cams in there right postion and caused the valves to meet the pistons.it only needs to be off alittle to cause problems.depending on how much you want to spend,it my be cheaper to buy a low milage motor. pm me and i will give you info on a place that i my be able to get a used engine pretty cheap
Old 08-14-2006, 05:52 PM

the pistion was messed up from the first time..i guess when i finally got on it...it blew the rest of it out...where do you think i could get a motor...i sent a pm but they haveing been being sent out latly idk why...thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Got traction?

Your mechanic is wrong. All SOHC heads non pi or pi will fit on older and newer GT blocks. My guess is the chain tensioner loosed and it skipped a tooth. That or the cams weren't degreed correctly. If the block is salvagable, go .020 over and check the heads to make sure they are ok and gets some rods and pistons. -Mark
Old 08-14-2006, 06:07 PM

I was looking a a kit on summit...thats what i thought with the cams...Where do you suggest to go?How much do you think it would cost if i ave them the heads and asked them to do all the work so i would just have to drop it in?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:09 PM
is doing your girlfriend

also remember using PI heads on a NPI motor gives you nearly 10:1 compression

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 08-14-2006, 06:11 PM

Yea, all of the pistons are fine except for the one that was messed up to begin with...how do you think for a short block rebuild?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Dirty ol Troll

Originally Posted by bitemark46
Your mechanic is wrong. All SOHC heads non pi or pi will fit on older and newer GT blocks. My guess is the chain tensioner loosed and it skipped a tooth. That or the cams weren't degreed correctly. If the block is salvagable, go .020 over and check the heads to make sure they are ok and gets some rods and pistons. -Mark
Easy thier elroy that statement is incorrect Depends which factory the Head came out of ( Romeo or windsor )
Old 08-14-2006, 06:21 PM

how can i find that out?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:51 PM

I thought that they two heads will bolt up to the block...the only difference was the valves covers