Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

96 cobra knocking

Old 06-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 cobra knocking

So I drove the car to st pete from tampa,got to where i was going,parked and at an idle it was knocking from the back of the motor and putting out a little bit of white smoke from the rear,checked in the next morning and there was no smoking and no knocking,drove it for a mile and I got smoking and knocking parked and idling.Got it home and it still did it and smoked alot more than before and still knocking the same.When i cut the car off and turn it back on it doesnt knock but still smokes.Doesnt overheat and drives fine,and doesnt knock or smoke when youre driving.Im hoping I just have a blown head gasket and not a cracked head/block.any ideas?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Got traction?

Did you ever overheat the motor? 96's did have an issue with cooling. But if not, check you oil level to make sure you didn't run the bottom end dry and it spun a bearing. Or your oil pump could be on it's way out. Did the car have the fix for the 96's
-Mark
Old 06-24-2006, 08:47 PM

dunno,got it from werd,you might know the car.I've already replaced the radiator which was chewed up from stop leak,changed the waterpump for the same reason,new thermo,and changed the coolant crossover bar so i could properly burp the cooling system.It hasnt fully overheated since i've had the car,maybe once but that was months ago.I checked the oil friday and it was fine,checked it last night and was still fine,and again tonight and it was fine,no signs of water on the dipstick.Im gonna run a compression test tomorrow and draining the oil to see whats up,and it'll be going to a shop monday if i cant figure it out.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Got traction?

Ya I worked on the intake when werd first got it. I did the IMRC delete on it and we fixed the miss that it had in it. It was bad plugs and wires. But it didn't have the knock when he had it. Do the compression test and post the results. Where do you live? I can swing by and take a look at it sometime this week. -Mark
Old 06-25-2006, 09:02 AM

I live by chamberlain high school,I had the car running this morning for like 30 minutes and had no smoke and no knock.When I got the car from cody it was in pefect running order besides the cooling system (bad waterpump and the coolant crossover bar was fised shut so I had to replace that.) everything else was fine,I'm thinking it might be a sensor since theoritically if something let go internaly it would knock all the time.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:48 AM
My car cought on Fire!

Ohh Damnnnn
(should've stuck w/ the Nova)

ps..Take it to JAMES at (Race Related)

Last edited by BudDyLeE; 06-25-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BudDyLeE
Ohh Damnnnn
(should've stuck w/ the Nova)

ps..Take it to JAMES at (Race Related)
2 cents from the peanut gallery.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:11 PM
My car cought on Fire!

Originally Posted by JayLude
2 cents from the peanut gallery.

we told you from the get go, to take that thing to James.. you just didnt listen did ya!//
Old 06-25-2006, 07:00 PM

lol,you wanted me to take it to him for a thermo like months ago.(which it didnt need anyhow.)
Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned

take it to Sam at Coastal