Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

engine swap

Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap

this has probably been coverd tons of times... but i want to swap my 4 banger 89 lx stang with a V-8, what mods are needed? ive heard the front springs wont hold the 302..and i also want to know how the gear ratio is with the 4 banger trans, and should i change it out?...well any advice would be great...

thanks steve~

My si in the making
Old 06-20-2006, 11:00 PM
has his prioritys ef'd up

You can keep the springs, and actually if you staying stock, you can keep the trans, just change out the pilot bearing. You need a wiring harness, unless your going carb. But really you should do a search on the net, alot of good info out there.
2005 Excursion (Big Pig)
Old 06-20-2006, 11:41 PM
NEEDS A COUPE

+1 on the trans if you start putting power adders on it will only hold up for so long, as for the springs i have 4cyl springs front and rear they're a good cheap way to transfer weight. Only prob i have is real bad wheel hop when i do my burn out so a rolling burn out works best. I'd suggest changing the springs down the road its a real easy cheap fix. There's always a set for sale here.

As for the rear end you should upgrade to an 8.8 $hawn might still have his if not i know Steve b was selling one and Riverviewnative has one but needs some parts. They all go for about 100 bucks here on TR

Old 06-21-2006, 01:17 AM
has his prioritys ef'd up

and also brakes, you can use what you got, but its better to just upgrade to the V8 brakes at least, or hit up some of 5 lug 4 wheel disk conversion deal.
2005 Excursion (Big Pig)
Old 06-21-2006, 10:17 AM

Thanks alot guys for the advice, im currently in NH at my summer house where im working on this swap...so all those great TR finds wont help me out too much.. but ill keep you guys posted on the build..im thinking close to stock for the motor... holly carb, and some flow masters. =)

Steve~

My si in the making