Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Better spring for weight transfer?

Old 04-15-2006, 05:05 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better spring for weight transfer?

in my 85 i currently have shortened springs around 750 in/lb rate. with heavy valved circle track shocks. Im going to buy a set of Lakewood or Comp engineering front shocks, either 90/10 or 70/30.

I have two springs i could use. the stock springs and police springs. both give about the same ride height. the stock springs are around 440 in/lbs and around 2-3" taller free height, police springs are around 700 in/lbs.

would a taller, softer spring be better or the shorter stiffer spring? Im think the taller softer spring.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
lives in a glass house

Go with the taller/softer one.

Originally Posted by cochese
Focus on getting that piece shit down the track, stop posting stories.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:30 PM
BillionClub Member BISHES

Yes the taller softer spring will help in the weight transfer to the rear.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:40 PM
is doing your girlfriend

You would nto think that id need more weight on the rear. From the factory there is about 2000#s on the rear wheels. But last time at sunshine with the stock AOD leaving at 1500 RPM i was getting a bit of wheel spin and absolutly no weight transfer. I already removed the 1 1/8" front bar today.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 04-15-2006, 08:42 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Which is a better shock Lakewood or Competition engineering? 90/10 or 70/30 for a street/strip weekend car.

*EDIT* the Comps are a bit longer, and are adjustible whereas the Lakewoods are a fixed valving.

Last edited by Duceanahalf; 04-15-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:23 AM
HH-60G CREW CHIEF

What wheels and tire sizes are you using? Budget drag setup as follows.

With skinnies up front, four cylinder (uncut) front springs and 50/50 Lakewood struts. Major help with weight transfer when launching.

Keep the squat in the rear at a minimal. Stock V8 uncut rear springs with Lakewood 70/30 shocks if you run real slicks or D.O.T. slicks. This would help your car stay consistent.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:28 AM
is doing your girlfriend

Originally Posted by HELMUT RONER
What wheels and tire sizes are you using? Budget drag setup as follows.

With skinnies up front, four cylinder (uncut) front springs and 50/50 Lakewood struts. Major help with weight transfer when launching.

Keep the squat in the rear at a minimal. Stock V8 uncut rear springs with Lakewood 70/30 shocks if you run real slicks or D.O.T. slicks. This would help your car stay consistent.
Find me a 4 cyl Crown Vic and ill buy those springs. Im running 325/50R15 BFG drag radials in the rear. Rear suspemsion is stiff Carrera circle track shocks, and Police springs ~170 in/lbs. Double pigtail so they cant be cut.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:37 PM
HH-60G CREW CHIEF

Sorry, thought you were referring to a Mustang.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:07 AM
"Now I only have two"

Ryan, I have a set of 90/10 Lakewoods for sale. PM me if interested and I will make you a good deal on them. I thought they would be ok for the street but they aren't and I went with 70/30's. I also have KYB gas adjust for the rear if you could use them. LMK
Old 04-17-2006, 02:57 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Originally Posted by Stewart Scott
Ryan, I have a set of 90/10 Lakewoods for sale. PM me if interested and I will make you a good deal on them. I thought they would be ok for the street but they aren't and I went with 70/30's. I also have KYB gas adjust for the rear if you could use them. LMK
Unless they came off a 70-81 Camaro or most mid and full size ford older than 78 they wont work. Ive got shocks not struts.