Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Ive had alot of blowby and oil on plug #6...

Old 04-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Project Fobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive had alot of blowby and oil on plug #6...

I've had "blowby" or so I thought even befoere I put the turbo on. I have oil on #6 plug and chalked it up to a bad ring or even the slight possibility of a cracked piston.

Well, I did a compression check of the cylinders 5-8. First I tested #6 and it showed 150lbs and held it. A friend suggested that it could be an intake gasket leak that is causing oil to get into that cyl.

I checked #5 as a reference and it showed the exact same, 150.

I wanted to check one last cyl just for good measure and tested #8 and it only went to 65lbs... A little annoyed, I pulled the tester out and re-checked #6 again to make sure I didn't mess up the tester and it still showed 150. I retest #8 and netted the same results, 65lbs. I let it sit there for about 10 minutes and it never dropped which has me a little puzzled. I think if it were a ring, I could show some signs on the plug but it looks good. If it were not enough shims under the factory rockers, not allowing the valves to close all the way, I think the pressure would leak down. I decide to test number 7 but in the mean time, while I pulled the plug wire and plug, I leave the compression tester hooked up to #8. I pull #7 plug and go to remove the compression tester from #8 and it seems to have dropped from 65 to 55 immediately even though I didn't "see" it do it.

I wondered then if my head gasket was blown from cyl #7 to #8. Well I go ahead and test #7 and it also shows 150lbs and it doesn't leak down.

The gauge I am using has a button to release pressure just below the guage. I figured the reason the pressure didn't release was because of a check valve so I decided to remove the gauge from the hose below the check valve and t he pressure bled off. The tool may not be accurate for a leak down but I'm not sure.

I made up my mind that I don't want to rebuild or replace the stock short block with another stock block or even one that has some decent internals because I don't want to waste the money when I know I am going to get an aftermarket block. I will however pull the intake and change those gaskets or even the head gaskets if I have a high possibility that it is a head gasket that is blown rather than a ring.

What are your thoughts?

Click - FQuick
flickr
Old 04-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Project Fobra

The gauge does not allow me to do a leakdown over time test. I removed the hose from the head and no pressure released while the gauge held 150psi.

Click - FQuick
flickr
Old 04-02-2006, 07:02 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

id say if the valves are closed for sure, then its time to remove the heads to look at the problem.