Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Rust!!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust!!

NOOO I have some rust in between my door hinges area on the fender and the body... It is just surface rust right now but I am worried that it would evolve to something bigger..

Please help to prevent more rust..

I was looking at eastwood magazine and they had some like rust mainter that you spray on with one of those air sprayers.. Do you think this would work?

-garrett
Old 03-23-2006, 12:48 PM

Hey man if I were you go to Autozone and save yourself some money on rustoleum or invest in a sander....I did it on my 89 GT along with some sandpaper....did the fender, gas tank, underneath the rear spoiler,etc andalso invested in some rustoleum ...as long as you sand down beyond the primer and there are no holes you should have nothing to worry about but remember to get primer on the area ASAP or the surface rust will come back....good luck

Jeff
Old 03-23-2006, 01:13 PM

Do a google search for por-15. I used it on an small area that I had and have had no problems. They guarantee that it will stop rust forever. Mine sounds as if it was in the same spot yours is. I removed the passanger door and fixed it the right way, because usually with rust once you start scraping it away you find that it is a bigger problem that what you thought. It also gave me a chance to replace the door pins and bushings. Let me know if you need and advice/help. Good luck
Old 03-23-2006, 01:37 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Our machinist used Por-15 on his boat's outdrives. In less than a year the material was flaking off.

Scrape the loose rust off, then go over the rust with some Ospho, it is just phosphuric acid, it will neutralize the rust and seal it. then paint over it.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Home depot sells some nice Phosphoric Acid. It'll take off any rust anywhere with minimal scrubbing in. Then you have to sand, prime, sand, paint, clear coat, wetsand and the rust won't come back. If you leave even 1 molecule of rust, the rust WILL come back. Those 'rust killers' that you spray on are mostly bullshit. Be careful with the Phosphoric acid, though. Repeated uses will take off your paint, and then turn your metal funny colors. Its powerful shit, and to be used with care.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote