Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Emissions Problem

Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Problem

hey guy's what's going on? i have a 89 gt w/302 block upper/lower cobra intake gt 40 heads 1.7 crane rockers, 1 5/8 long tube headers, cated hpipe, 65mm tb, fender wall cold air intake, pullies, msd distributor, accell ignition coil, tremec trany, adj fuel press reg, (set @ 40 psi) 190 lph fuel pump, 24# injectors, ok my problem is that i can not pass emissions i failed 6 times i have played with the timing ajusted it from 10 to 16 degrees still failed my o2's are new & i just replaced my egr, there are no codes i went to 3 emissions repair shops they all said something different so now i am lost, my a/f ratio say's im stoichmatic at idle and in drive, i also lose power at about 4ooo rpm in 2nd & in 3rd it feels like i am dragging @$$ it's a little sad, can any one help me out? any info? THANX!!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Shake n' Bake

Ummm, we dont have emissions....

Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Team Geritol Racing

Could be an exhaust leak or could be your O2's aren't getting hot enough if they are at the collector end of the long tubes. You didn't say what you were running for a MAF and if it is calibrated for 24#...or if you have a chip or something. If all that is stock, I don't see how you could be running stoich 'cause your pulsewidths will be wrong and you should be running rich, especially since you fuel pressure is 1 lb higher than stock.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:15 PM

sorry about the maf, it is calibrated for 24# by c&l, & i am from chicago, i do not have a chip! stoich is what my a/f guage reads maybe i hooked it up wrong? any suggestion's on what i should change if anything?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:54 AM
Team Geritol Racing

OK, your computer still thinks you are using 19# injectors so it is asking for x amount of fuel for any given injector pulsewidth but youu are actually getting (24/19)*x amount of fuel. Add to that a little extra because your PF is set higher than stock at 40. I'd start of by setting the FP to 39 with the vacuum line off and see if that helps any. You might want to relocate the O2's closer to the heads so they are getting readings that are closer to the firing event to improve the accuracy of the readings. When I had long tubes, my O2's were in the #7 and #3 primaries. That limits you to what's going on in those two cylinders but they are usually the ones that go lean at WOT.

The 93 cobra had 24# injectors but the stock MAF for 19# but the computer was set up to handle the difference.