Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

need more advice

Old 12-30-2005, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need more advice

i have a 2001 mustang gt and i wanna put some horsepower in it without going crazy to the engine...the car still has a warranty and i don't want to do anything to it that will void out the warranty. i was thinking about getting the regular bolt on stuff like the plenum, tb, cold air tube, and mass air, but a friend of mine says it wont help much and ill be wasting my money. i just wanna know what i could do to make it a little faster for now without voiding my warranty....need advice.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 AM

plenum and throttle body and good upgrades, i would definiely do a tuner like a diablosport predator, rear gears, a nice shifter if its a stick, mass air meter, and maybe a cold air kit...call me if you need any prices

chad
727-571-1996

www.racinginnovationsfl.com
www.xsrcylinderheads.com
4.842@156 and 7.53@192 on radials
Old 12-30-2005, 01:05 PM

well will those upgrades help any? cause my friend has a 5.0 and he said for my type mustang those wont do that much and ill be paying for little horses
Old 12-30-2005, 01:42 PM
1140cc's of power

<~friend with 5.0 lol
Andy my advice is gears,drag radials,chip,drop-in filter,pullys,and then take it to like Coastal and get a Tune.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Fully Built Inc.

i know you dont want to void your warranty, but if you want some serious power your going to have to. you could also have the dealer install everything and that would keep your warranty but youll get raped with labor.i would supercharge it. or you could run some nos through it. just remember nos is cheaper initially but you always have to have a full bottle(around $50 a fill) to go fast. powers always there with a blower.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:54 PM
I need a helmet.

Even dealer installed will not save your warranty 99% of the time. Modified is modified no matter who does the work and they'll drop you like a bad habit if they want to.

In my opinion the best bang for the buck and still warranty friendly are long tubes, high flow X, mufflers, and gears. You put a chip in there and you are screwed. I guarantee it…and they will look.

Shit- it didn't want to get into this story but I feel I need to backup my statements...
I'll keep it short:

Friend bought a '01 Cobra from a dealer with warranty in '03. It had an off road H, Flowmasters, 4.10 gears, pulleys, K&N, and a Diablo chip (3 program type). We were shocked that it still had a warranty. Anyway, he mostly bought that car because it had a warranty and that would help him if anything broke down the line (was a little tight on money). Well, not so tight that he couldn't get some BBK LT's and a shorty H pipe. He went to the track once and did one pass and had it retuned a few times over a couple of months. Best was 300/300 at the wheels. He was driving to work one morning and getting off the off-ramp and heard a pop and the car started smoking and running like crap. We worked right next to the dealership so he took it there immediately. One of the coil packs freaked out and detonated part of the spark plug and it fell into the cylinder and probably broke the rings or gouged the cylinder wall. Ford looked at the mods and said the car was never suppose to have a warranty... bank error NOT in your favor...here's the warranty money back...have a nice day rebuilding the engine on your dime. This process took about a month of him hammering them and calling his lawyer, etc. He was told quite stern that if he wanted to take it to the courts he WOULD lose and they would make it tough on him. He moved to FL shortly there after and had to sell the car because he couldn’t afford to fix it. Took a loss on it too.

This isn't your exact situation but it shows how conniving they can be. They didn’t even try to help him out by giving a discount on labor or anything. So the very reason he bought the car was the thing they took away…

For some reason I feel that I should slap on my flame suit.
'01 Silver Cobra #2709
Procharger P1SC w/10# pulley, 3 core IC, Bassani OR X, Steeda catback, 42# injectors, Lightning 80mm MAF, Tri-Ax, Fat Knob, Battery in da' trunk, JMS Tune 432rwhp / 390rwtq 12.54 @ 115 on street radials

SOLD 6-13-03
'98 Laser Red Cobra #634 of 5174
UPR Power Pipe, BBK off-road H, Flowmasters, 4.10 gears, battery relocated to da' trunk, rear seat delete, Cobra R 17x9 rims with Nitto 315's out back, shaved door locks, 13.35 @105
Old 12-30-2005, 06:31 PM

so the c&l cold air intake tube, the C&l mass air, and the throttle body and plenum wont help much......cause i found the intake tube mass air and k&n filter for like 150$
Old 12-30-2005, 08:10 PM
1140cc's of power

That actualy is a good deal.Buy that and get some 3:73's
Old 12-31-2005, 05:22 AM
Redneck Yatchclub member

Just a piece of info that I need to share with you guys.
It is illegal for a dealership to VOID you warranty based solely on the fact that you installed an aftermarket product. You can get info regarding denial of warranty coverage on SEMA'S website...www.sema.org.
CHeck it out, it will answer alot of questions you might have. just go into the consumer section.

Last edited by Shamus O'Toole; 12-31-2005 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:15 PM

i would normally suggest gears first...but since u need some form of speedo calibration i recommend the predator first, that way when you do do the gear you can take care of the speedo....the t-body and plenum do add a good amount of power, and $150 is a good deal

chad

www.racinginnovationsfl.com
www.xsrcylinderheads.com
4.842@156 and 7.53@192 on radials