Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

306 Running Rich

Old 08-15-2005, 08:21 PM
sometime after noon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 306 Running Rich

Earlier tonight on my way home my car died on me and didn't want to come back to life. When I first got it off of Jason, it had an issue of staying on after starting it up as well as a weird high idle problem.

I replaced the ICM, put a new computer in (A3M1), fiddled around with some of the wiring and it seemed to have solved the problems except for:
A) It was running richer than Bill Gates
B) It was missing (sometimes pretty bad, sometimes almost not that much) whenever I was on the throttle.
C) It idled funny from time to time like it would if the IACV was dirty/fucked (revving up and down on its own). I cleaned out the IACV before driving it home, and it didn't help.

We put the timing back to stock, and I drove it home like that without it wanting to cutout on me, just missing when I was on the throttle. I was going to check the fuel pressure tonight when I got home, but unfortunately my car didn't make it (doh!) and Jerm has to take his Gauge kit back home with him since he borrowed it from work (thanks anyway man).

A few things that looked like they need to be placed: TPS (looks damaged), passenger side header has a small hole in it near the flange connecting to the h-pipe (will be replaced this week), and I want to replace the wires, cap and rotor. If I could get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge again this week, I'll also be checking that out.

When the car died on me tonight, it was running decently. I was on the throttle in 5th gear going about 50-55ish, but it started sputtering/missing badly, died, and didn't wanna come back on.

Any other things to look into?

Last edited by auxilium; 08-15-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:29 PM
could be worse

just out of curiosity, did you get screwed on the deal? I havent heard of nay probs on the old car?

www.generationsofcabinetry.com
Old 08-15-2005, 08:38 PM
sometime after noon

Negative, I knew what I was in for when we traded. He explained to me the problems it had when he brought it over to my shop. I've been busy lately with school and work, so I took a bit of a risk driving it around, but oh well. It's damn fun to drive when its running, and with a little bit more work she'll be ready to hit the track. As far as getting screwed on the deal, both of our cars had some issues. Jason has since fixed the few things with my old car that were going bad as far as I know of as well as added some goodies.

Back on topic...
Old 08-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Is now ballin!

Check the TFI on the front of the distribuer. When that thing gets hot the car won't shut back on to save its life, they are only about 12 bux and it sounds like thats what it is, make sure to use the diaelectric grease they give you or it will burn out again in no time.. Let me know how it goes man..

Also, about him getting screwed, he got a highly modded fox that looked awesome and had a few little problems for a stock daily driver with no problems just b/c I was tired of messing with it. Oh well, I still want a ride in it when its running right

RIP Kevin (Slo_Si) Gonzalez - 09/13/2006
Old 08-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned

+1 replace the tfi module when they get hot they will not work
Old 08-16-2005, 11:19 AM
sometime after noon

It was already replaced it the day after I got the car and I used the grease stuff that came with it. Think it's dead already? It was a cheap discount auto one, which I think comes with a warranty (I'll have to double-check).

I still need to find a way to check the goddamn fuel pressure in this car. ARGH!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Is now ballin!

Originally Posted by dying fetus
I still need to find a way to check the goddamn fuel pressure in this car. ARGH!
Fuel pressure guage?

jfwy, but it should be set at 32psi, I think thats what I had it at..

Old 08-16-2005, 05:57 PM
sometime after noon

I thought you had it at 42? Unless that was a type in your PM. Considering how rich it was running (the plugs were soaked when I pulled em out last night), I really wish it hadn't broke down on my way home. Jerm was waiting there with his gauge setup deal... argh.

Stupid tow truck didn't get to my car until 3:30ish AM...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Is now ballin!

Originally Posted by dying fetus
I thought you had it at 42? Unless that was a type in your PM. Considering how rich it was running (the plugs were soaked when I pulled em out last night), I really wish it hadn't broke down on my way home. Jerm was waiting there with his gauge setup deal... argh.

Stupid tow truck didn't get to my car until 3:30ish AM...
Hmm, maybe it was 42, I can't really remember. Sucks that it broke down, I feel bad for giving it to you, eventhough you knew all of the problems it had..

Old 08-17-2005, 09:54 AM

I would talk to James @ RR. He can figure it out, I would bet on it.