Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !
View Poll Results: what went wrong
broken camshaft
13.33%
broken geardrive
46.67%
other
40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

lets guess what i broke today..poll..

Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Chucking up the Dueces

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets guess what i broke today..poll..

Well saturday i got bored and decided to finally work on my car.So i decide to take out my comp cam,and try another comp cam i had custom grinded.I figured while i was in there i would take the double roller out,and replace it with a gear drive.I start the car on sunday get the timing set and take it for a ride,no problems(other than it needed a new tune).
Monday(today) afternoon leaving my buddies shop,i decide to try and figure out another problem i was having(tranny).I set the transbrake bring the car up to 2500rpm,and SNAP CRACKLE POP car dies.So i sit there a moment(confused)and hit the key,not starting(felt like all the spark plugs were out).We open the hood try it again,and the crank pully is turning.Take the cap off,and the rotor isn't turning(while trying to start).I thought it could have broke the distributer,but after removing it there was nothing wrong with it.So i made a poll for everyone to guess,and left a third option(open).The only thing i could imagine is the geardrive broke,or the new camshaft broke.If anybody has had a similer problem please explain.I will be taking it apart this weekend,and will have pictures.

THIS SUCKS................................
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Mullet Powered

i say broken geardrive....

if it was the camshaft it would run oin a few cylinders and then die as long as the gear isnt broke off the end of the camshaft. but the only place i ever seen a camshaft break is in the center of the shaft. therefore leaving a few cyclinders in running condition.

03 Gt - SOLD!

88 LX Coupe - 308 with a few mods...
Old 08-09-2005, 04:30 AM
is doing your girlfriend

...ey,not starting(felt like all the spark plugs were out).We open the hood try it again,and the crank pully is turning...
how can you see the crank pulley by opening the hood? do you mean the accesories were turning?

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 08-09-2005, 06:03 AM
is made outa laffy taffy

i would go with the gear drive man i never liked those things i stick with the double roller my .02 so how about those heads
Old 08-09-2005, 07:13 AM
brings his heater.

im going with the pin from the camshaft to the top gear.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:59 AM
is made outa laffy taffy

Originally Posted by rubberneck
im going with the pin from the camshaft to the top gear.
oh good one
Old 09-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Chucking up the Dueces

So i got it apart tonight,and........i'll let the pictures explain.

Now I'm worried about the valves and pistons,but a few people said there should not be a problem with them.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Chucking up the Dueces

Originally Posted by Mars_302
at least the cam didnt walk. Did you use loctite on the bolt?
I don't remember,the garage was to cloudy that night and i coulden't see that well

I'm sure I did,unless I had other shit i my mind that night and forgot to.But I don't remember to be honest.

I'm poping the heads off tomorow to see if there is any other damage,if there is I will be having the biggest sale in the ford forum