Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Got into a debate with a Ford guy today about high compression and boost..

Old 04-06-2005, 02:29 AM
Camera Car!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got into a debate with a Ford guy today about high compression and boost..

This guy was trying to tell me I could run boost on my current setup with C16 and make crazy power. I told the guy I have 11.75 to 1 compression and he said Ford guys run 12.0 to 1 on some boosted applications with C16 and do just fine. I told him I doubt their setups last very long. We went back and forth for like an hour b4 I just gave up. He said I could drop my timing and run good gas and be just fine on 4 to 10lbs of boost. I told him he was full of it. What do you guys think? Is he right?

You guys know I would love to go FI, but I think lowering my compression to a safe 9.1 to 1 would be best.

My email:
vince99frc@gmail.com
Old 04-06-2005, 03:50 AM
You Can't Moderate Me.

I'm not knowledgable in the Ford Dept,but i know 4 cylinder wise,High Compression and boost don't get along well

Old 04-06-2005, 04:03 AM
Donut Killer

Originally Posted by Skittle
High Compression and boost don't get along well
That is my understanding as well... Maybe if it was strickly a track car and under some specific cases.
However, I don't think it is a good idea. Unless you like changing head gaskets and love to spend your nights under the hood, I wouldn't do it. I just swapped heads on my coupe before putting boost in it because of this reason. This guys just sounds like an @$$, we have them in our camp too...
Did you talk to Sam? I am sure he would be able to answer this question without any problems....

SC Motorsports
11801 State Road 52
Hudson, FL 34669-3092
(727) 856-8768

FordSpeed Racing
11733 66th St., Unit 123
Largo, FL 33773
(727) 549-8255
Dynojet Chassis Dyno
Old 04-06-2005, 04:32 AM

do not in any way run boost with that kind of compression...no matter what fuel or timing you run..very bad idea!!!

www.racinginnovationsfl.com
www.xsrcylinderheads.com
4.842@156 and 7.53@192 on radials
Old 04-06-2005, 04:33 AM
LT1's are slow!

Screw C16, just add some injectors and fill that tank up with nitromethane, you'll be fine.

1996 Corvette CE coupe LT1/A4
Mostly stock
1998 Camaro
Z28 badges and dual exhaust tips
Old 04-06-2005, 05:11 AM
Peon on steroids!

well, alot of honda guys run high compression (11:1 or so) and boost fine...you have to realize, its a myth that high compression and boost dont go together well, the reality is....it works fine, just 2 rules, 1. You cant run as much boost, the static compression can only be so much before blowing head gaskets, etc etc and 2. The tuning must be PERFECT or as near as can be, the tuning window is much smaller, this is the reason the OEs use low compression, because they use a universal computer for all their cars and each car is sightly different due to small differences in the assembly process, to run more than about 5psi on high compression you MUST use a standalone computer and have full control of your fuel and spark curves
Old 04-06-2005, 07:30 AM
whoopdy fucking do!

high boost and high compression will go together if you have john force internals..... its all about cylinder pressure and what your internals and such can handle....

IMO why go with high compression when you can just make up for it with more boost, i guess the only thing you would benifit from high compression would be a more powerfull motor before the turbo spools......
Old 04-06-2005, 07:54 AM
i eat hamburgers

Originally Posted by n8secstangg
do not in any way run boost with that kind of compression...no matter what fuel or timing you run..very bad idea!!!
i'd take chad's word on this one. he's been in the bizz for quite some time.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Camera Car!

Well I personally would drop my static compression because this is the norm and I want to be able to roll around on pump gas sometimes. I just could not believe this guy said I could run good boost on my current motor...

My email:
vince99frc@gmail.com
Old 04-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Unsettling your debt

IMO, the Ford guy is right and hes wrong. There is substantiated information that supports the combination of relatively (this being the key word) high compression and mild levels of boost making better power then low compression and higher levels of boost. All of this is predicated on fuel,boost and timing maps being nearly perfected for the 2 combos in question
with compression being the only difference between the 2. That said, a street car will probably do better with the former rather then the latter assuming stout engine componets and a tune that will permit the use of premium pump gas. The reason(s) for this are many but for purposes of total avg power being made at the wheels the higher compression at every level of boost is going to burn the fuel more efficiently. Given the levels of fuel Datruth is probably going to use to meet his power expectations this efficiency isnt something to be dismissed or taken lightly at all. Furthermore, higher levels of boost bring with it the unwanted added intake charge temps of the incoming air and all of the complexities with cooling it (ie intercooling and plumbing,meth inj,etc)., and lets face it, for most of the year in Tampa, we dont need any help with heating air. The higher compression also has the side benefit of allowing better driveability with the larger injectors and camshaft that he will likely be using and a much better torque curve at all points under his max boost level. That said, the Ford guy was wrong in not quite getting the street car point when he advises DaTruth to use C16 everyday everywhere in a car that he probably drives often. Too expensive, too impractical for everyday or often use. Furthermore its likely he would need a tuneup that better be razorsharp and is finicky to sneak up on. Theres a compression threshhold when considering FI for a street driven car and IMO DaTruth is above it but probably not so far that with some changes he couldnt use FI, but would have to know more about his car to be sure.

Last edited by Sumthin Nuu; 04-06-2005 at 12:55 PM.