Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

fuel pump whine

Old 03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
stock :-\

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump whine

a friend from school has a 90 5.0 gt and he had a starting problem.. car cranks but would not fire up... he changed the cap/rotor, plugs still nothing. he didnt try to start it for 2 days.. i go over to his house after school wednesday, the car starts out of no where. problem solved?

today after school the same problem, car doesnt fire. it ran for a day. its getting spark to the coil and im assumming all the way to the plugs since its all new stuff... so i said to myself its has to be a fuel. i go to click the ignition and notice theres no fuel pump whine.. okay so what are the possible things it could be? fuel pump relay taken a shit? the pump itself gone bad? is there anyone to pinpoint what the problem could be?

thanks alot any suggestions would help out greatly

david
Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 PM
HH-60G CREW CHIEF

Those are the same exact symptoms my 1988 GT gave me before my EEC-IV power relay went bad. Car would crank, but not start. No fuel pump prime when turning the ignition to the on position. Advance sells this relay under GP Sorensen part number MR14

Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 PM
HH-60G CREW CHIEF

Aside from that, I recall an old thread on the Corral where someone had these same problems, but the problem was a burn fusible link. I don't know which one, but you might want to check those out, too, if the relay replacement doesn't solve the problem. When removing the old EEC relay check te harness connector for any corrosion. Clean it out and then use a cotton swap soaked in WD-40 (or other spray lubricant) and wipe down the contacts in the new relay and inside the harness to help prevent or slow down any other corrosion (if any).