Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

advice for 86' SVO

Old 02-21-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice for 86' SVO

i have a 1986 SVO

roller cam
ARP head studs
35lb injectors
adj. fuel pressure reg
65mm throttle body
adjustable cam pulley
190lph fuel pump
msd coil
RAM HD clutch
17" cobra R's

im wondering what turbo would be best for an upgrade. i want to keep streetable since i do alot of city driving; but also want to use the brute force the 2.3 can handle. i dont know anything about external waste gates and would like to keep the price some what sane. should i buy a rebuildable t3 and sent it off to CMR and have it turned into a super 60 t3? im not interested in the bigger is better thoery. this is my daily driver and want to have fun with it while i drive it daily
Old 02-21-2005, 12:11 PM

forgot to mention that i have a home made FMIC as well, nothing amazing that rich people would own. redneck job but works for me
Old 02-21-2005, 12:37 PM

im all about junk yard digging for a budgetted project, what yr dodges did they turbos come in? newer cummin's or older?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:12 PM
drives euro trash

How about some pictures of the SVO? Seems more and more SVO owners are coming out from whichever rock they live under. Still miss mine...even though it treated me like shit.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:36 PM

more and more SVO owners? only a hand full in tampa. maybe 7-10 on a good day. if someone pops up with an SVO more than likely one of the other owners sold out. i just put the chrome 17" cobra R's on it and dam did it change the total appearance of the car.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:38 PM

i bought a t3/t4 57 trim off matt this turbo put down 395hp to the front tires at 18psi on his GSR. i paided 175$ for it needs new seals. im gonna contact CMR tomorrow and see what they can do for me. hopin they will hook it up for really cheap. CMR has been into this turbo 2 times in the past
Old 02-21-2005, 07:47 PM

Sounds like a great start to me. I think I mentioned that I got the Holset off ebay...$161 was the winning bid. Man, I'm excited about that! It's an Hy35, which was used on the automatics, I think. They supposedly have a smaller turbine side, so it should spin up faster than the HX35. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm in for! I'm thinking about going to the junkyard for a spare engine even before I get started!

FWIW- I've heard mixed reviews about the headstuds and the 65mm TB. What's your opinion on those, Dave? I know I've used the same set of 12-point bolts about 4 times now, and I've never had a problem, a blown headgasket or anything like that. This is with a non-decked rebuild junkyard head, and there's been a LOT of detonation along the way at times, too.

My feelings on the 2.3 are that the biggest shortcomings are the stock computer and then later, the stock head. I think there's a few guys out there with very mildly modified heads and standalones with big turbos making big power. Good heads are $$$ for the 2.3, and working an iron one sucks because it's just a matter of time till it cracks. They ALL do it.

-Mike

"Notches kick ass!"

Last edited by SpyVO; 02-21-2005 at 07:52 PM.