Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

axle lengths?

Old 02-18-2005, 06:51 PM
chillin the most

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle lengths?

I have an SVO/LSC in my racecar now but was thinking of converting the rear brakes to the '94+ style Cobra calipers just cause it would be easier to get parts and pads for. for my svo brakes there is only one company(Porterfield) that makes race pads and they get over $200 for a set, so I ended up spending like $600 just on rear pads over the last season and a half.

my question is if my svo/lsc axles are longer or the same length as the sn-95 axles? I am wondering if it is just a matter of getting the right axle brackets for the Cobra calipers or will I need axles too?
Old 02-18-2005, 07:55 PM

Don't know if this help but if your racing the car you might need to be aware of it. You can add more tires to the rear and go to an sn-95 set if u use ranger axles and the flip the caliper brackets around.
As for them bolting right i'm going to say you might still need to flip the caliper bracket around.

My Project
Old 02-19-2005, 05:28 AM
OUCH!!!

Go read this thread: http://www.ffcobra.com/cgi-bin/ultim...;f=40;t=005044 (keep in mind the intent of that thread is getting stuff to stay the standard fox width. Anything more and you run into clearance issues on a factory five.)

Basicly, the LSC housing width is the same as the standard fox/sn95 housings, but the axles themselves are 1.25" widers. SN95 axles are .75" wider than fox axles.

You'll need to go one of three routes. Which one you do will mostly depend on what kind of wheel backspacing you have and how much clearance you have.

1. Get the SN95 brakes and brackets. You'll need SN95 axles to go with those the rotors end up in the right space. You will loose .5" track on each side.

2. Get the SN95 brakes, Fox width axles and custom brackets from North Race Cars (http://www.northcobras.com/catalog/brakes/brakes.htm -- "5-Lug SN95 Rear Disc Brake Conversion Complete Package"). He sells the brackets individually if you want to get the parts elsewhere. Nobody else makes that bracket. You'll loose 1.25" of track on each side.

3. See if Richard Oben @ North Race Cars can make up a bracket with the proper offset for you to run the SN95 brakes with the LSC axles. I'm not sure if his brackets are cast or CNC. If they are CNC, I'm pretty sure he could do it easly.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:48 PM
chillin the most

ok, so I am reviving this one as I am ready now to convert my rear brakes. I wanted to get rid of my Lincoln rear brakes and convert to '94+ Cobra calipers. I know the LSC axles are too long and I wanted a little less track because w/ the 17"x9" rims it rubs a little and I had to raise my ride height.

I was ready to order sn-95 axles from Moser then I see they list '94-'98, then they list '99-'04 as slightly longer, by something like 23/32"s. anyone know if the caliper mount brackets are different or can I just shim the caliper out the extra bit? The thought of losing a full inch of track in the rear bothers me already so the '99+ stuff sounds better as I would stand to lose a little less.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:56 AM
lives in a glass house

You'll want the 94-98 axles. You can't put a 99up axle in a fox housing.
The ol' American Sedan car we built we used the lincoln rears brakes cause they were so much bigger. The length from the Lincoln to a sn95 are VERY close sitting on the floor, I'll try to get a pix later.

Originally Posted by cochese
Focus on getting that piece shit down the track, stop posting stories.