Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

need a lil help...

Old 02-06-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a lil help...

OK i have built a couple of 302s and had no problems. I have a stock bottem end 302 in my 95 cobra. With trickflow track heat Aluminum heads. In the past I have torqued the heads in sequence 50-75-90 ftlbs.. with no problems. Well I finally got all my parts back last week, attempted to install the passanger side head. Had all the bolts to 50ft lbs. I had 5 of them to 75ftlbs.. and the 6th ( 2nd from back on the bottem) the block stripped out!! so i stoped and took the head back off. Knowing i cant Heli-coil the block while its in the car. I attempted to do the driver side head. First 50ftlbs.. no problem. Then all the bolts at 75ftlbs. Again no problem. But the second bolt ( Middle on bottom) AGAIN damn block stripped out.

I have ARP head bolts. They have perfect threads... except for the fact that the two that didnt torque have the thread from the block on them

What the hell am i doing wrong?... any suggestions?...

Thanks,
Cody

Sn95' Tripple Black Cobra
Mods:Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust...just your typical stock mustang...
Old 02-06-2005, 03:32 PM
refinish artist

Damn bro,u got about as good as luck as I got.Could you of possiby had the torque wrench set wrong?
Old 02-06-2005, 03:57 PM
PORK CHOP SAMICHES!!!!!

the ones that are "ratchet-style" that you twist at the bottom to set the torque are notorious for being wrong man. When they go out, they don't "pop" when they are supposed too. I had one go out on me, was set to 60ftlbs and was popping at 80-something.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:45 PM
OUCH!!!

If it was far enough off to strip threads out of an iron block you'd be able to feel that you're torquing it way too much...
Old 02-06-2005, 06:47 PM
is doing your girlfriend

did you use any kind of lube on the bolts like they recommend?
i stripped one of the 5/16 oil pan bolts in the timing cover the other day but luckilly a longer bolt fixed that

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 02-06-2005, 06:53 PM
need turbo stuff,pm me

Originally Posted by 69Boss521
the ones that are "ratchet-style" that you twist at the bottom to set the torque are notorious for being wrong man. When they go out, they don't "pop" when they are supposed too. I had one go out on me, was set to 60ftlbs and was popping at 80-something.
+1 on that. i torqued down my welds, drove down the street, it was like i had a bent wheel, my buddy brought his wrench, not one of them bitches were even close to the same. go figure, clicked every time too.

IF YOU CAN READ THIS- THANK A TEACHER,

AND SINCE ITS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
-Ronald Reagan

Florida Cracker Mustang Coupe Whore
Old 02-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Pro 5oh

I have a bad ass tq wrench cody if you want to retry it////
Old 02-06-2005, 07:42 PM

From what I understand.... If a torque wrench is dropped, or sees excessive vibration, it will throw off the calibrations of it. So if it's been in your tool box and it's been slung around a while - it could be useless now. Also, if it'd been throw down in between uses, or dropped even. I know my dad got a nice one, and it came with a padded case, to keep it from seeing the vibrations!

Sorry to hear about the misfortune Cod-ster. Hope all goes well, and you're able to get it back up to par man. Miss seeing that lil lady out and about!

Josh
Old 02-06-2005, 08:29 PM

well its a pretty new click type... its snap-on... I hardly use it because its only 1/2" drive. I work on 18wheelers all day.. and I have a 1" drive tq wrench that gets way more abuse than my lil ol 1/2" one. It doesnt feel like over torquing... although im used to 350ft lbs.. not 90... looks like im going to have to pull the block.. heli-coil it.. and try again. If that fails. Looks like i will be going to my 347 shortblock sooner than i thought...

Sn95' Tripple Black Cobra
Mods:Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust...just your typical stock mustang...
Old 02-06-2005, 08:46 PM
refinish artist

Why can't you helecoil it in the car?I did my alt.bolts in the head with the motor still in the car.

Quick Reply: need a lil help...