Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

turbo 2.3

Old 01-26-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo 2.3

i wrecked my 91 5.0 so i bought another 4 cyl. body to transplant and drive while i biuld my motor again. the 2.3 is so slow and i got a turbo manifold and turbo yesturday so how much boost can i run on a stock 2.3 and what are the specs on the motor.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:57 PM

way to let em down easy Dave .... But i would like to know how much a stock bottem end Merkur block can handle... I have a cam, good valve train n such... I currently have it turned up to 15lbs... on pump gas.. whats the limit you think?

Sn95' Tripple Black Cobra
Mods:Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust...just your typical stock mustang...
Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 PM
torque on tap

Originally posted by herrcomestrouble
way to let em down easy Dave .... But i would like to know how much a stock bottem end Merkur block can handle... I have a cam, good valve train n such... I currently have it turned up to 15lbs... on pump gas.. whats the limit you think?
A stock turbo shortblock? The accepted upper limit seems to be in the 400-450 HP range, but I personally think it has more to do with the tune because the rods are the first to let go. Keep the tune in check and run the proper amount of Octane to keep detonation at bay and a good turbo shortblock should live around 350-400 HP no problem.

BTW, does your brother still have that other XR4Ti for sale?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:15 PM

I have to say that the pistons are not the same...... obviously the difference in compression is due to the pistons, and the Turbo motors had Forged pistons....
Old 01-27-2005, 06:00 PM
torque on tap

Originally posted by CloudNine
I have to say that the pistons are not the same...... obviously the difference in compression is due to the pistons, and the Turbo motors had Forged pistons....
I think Dave meant to say that the rods and crank are the same, not the rods and pistons.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by Fordified
The stock turbo motors had forged pistons with 8.5:1 compression ratio while your N/A motor has cast pistons with 9:1 ratio. Rods and crank are the same

The turbo block is basically the same except for the oil return fitting for the turbo on the right side of the block (a bit of trivia, all 2.3's had the boss for the oil return)

Either way you'll need the computer, vane meter (like a mass air meter) and injectors from a turbo car. You may be OK for low boost with the stock injectors and pump, but the timing curve will be all wrong for the turbo setup.

Basically I'm politely telling you to save your time and money for the 5.0. I wouldn't recommend trying to turbo a N/A daily driver as it won't be worth it in the long run.
Jeez Dave, I thought you'd do a little better than that!

The compression is 8.0:1 for the factory turbo forged pistons. And I don't think ALL of the 2.3 blocks have the undrilled boss, just some of the non-turbo ones.

And I don't think you'd need all that other stuff to turbocharge a 2.3, although that IS how the turbo cars came *from the factory*. The pistons are pretty essential, but the other stuff can be used in one way or another. For example, a lot of V8 guys will use their stock stuff when they put turbos on, and you should be able to as well. There's no reason an FMU can't work on a 2.3, you know.

"Notches kick ass!"
Old 01-29-2005, 05:10 AM

you could do it with just an fmu or something of that nature,but the pistons and the valves WILL NOT hold up under any kind of boost,the non turbo motors don't have hardened valve seats and the stock cast pistons do not hold up well either.

also,if it is a dis setup there is no way to retard the timing for the turbo,don't retard timing and you will get detonation.

The 5.0 mustangs can get away with it because they have forged pistons and hardened valve seats factory,and you can retard the timing

hope this helps