Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

transmission

Old 11-17-2004, 02:57 PM
eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission help needed

Hey guys, the transmission on my 96 t-bird is going pretty fast. Its a 4R70W auto, if anyone here can help, if there is someone that works at a dealership that may be able to get a reasonable price, or knows a good trasmission or car shop around, anything will help. looking for new or used depending on the price. I live in clearwater. thanks.

Last edited by Eric123; 11-17-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:02 PM
eric

anyone ?? i could really use some help.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:16 AM
eric

alright well thanks for all the leads
Old 11-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Don't be so angry

My suggestion is MadDog Transmissions. The guy you talk to is the shop owner and he was a former NHRA racer. He dealswith all GM trannys, but he actually rebuilt the tranny in my SHO. I had shift kit, higher speed stall and all the upgrades done. Louis is very cool and he even invited me down to inspect the tranny while it was apart. I dropped the car off on a Thursday and got it back on Saturday afternoon. Mind you this is a front wheel drive car that he had never worked on before. He is located in Tarpon Springs, and other than he and his guys giving me a hard time about owning Fords, they were very cool to deal with. Good luck with your search.

BTW, they only do automatics, because I also asked about rebuilding my T-5.

The phone number is 727-943-7742

John

1992 Mustang LX 5.0-Powerdyne BD-11A, 3.73's, FRPP clutch, chrome Ponies, Mac headers, Aeromotive regulator, MSD 6A, MSD BTM, FRPP 42# injectors, Pro-Flow Air Optimizer, Trick Flow Track Heat intake, Edelbrock 75MM TB, AFM Power Pipe
Old 11-18-2004, 02:12 PM
eric

thanks guys ill look into both of those shops.

Bottlefed, im also looking to (if funds permit) put on a higher stall tc, and shift kit at the same time. im still in high school and my parents dont exactly embrace the idea of a faster car, however i find this a perfect opertunity, seeing as this HAS to be done. Oh, also, did you notice a difference in gas milage after the converter? i have heard people losing alot and some losing hardly any at all. Id also be intrested, if you dont mind, the cost of everything (tranny, TC, shift kit, and labor) to give me an idea of how much longer i need to baby this thing before i can get a new one.

Fordified, ill take the name of the shop in PH/TS since bottlefedLX refered a shop up there as well. a little drive would be well worth it as bad as its getting.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:28 PM
The little 5.0 that could

Originally posted by Eric123
Oh, also, did you notice a difference in gas milage after the converter? i have heard people losing alot and some losing hardly any at all.
Not that I can tell you with 100% certainty, but I can see how it could, but if you keep your foot out of it there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in gas mileage.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:35 PM
eric

yeah, i have heard that as well, also people saying maybe 1-2 mpg highway, and up to as much as 5-7 mpg city, mostly because its so hard to keep your foot off the gas. I just wondered if it was anything significant because i saw he had a 2300 stall which is about what im looking at.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Don't be so angry

Vince is right, hard to gauge depending on how you drive. I have a company vehicle, so pretty much when I drive my Mustang or my SHO, I drive them pretty hard. I went from 1700 stock to 2300. My rebuild cost me $1700, but like I said, my car is front wheel drive. I got a friend of mine that is getting his tranny rebuilt for his 87 Monte Carlo SS there and he is getting his done for about $1500, and it is the 700R4 built for 600hp, labor and everythng. If you talk to the guy, he can tell you better. By the way, my car drives like stock if I stay off of it. the shift are nice and smooth. When I have my foot to the floor, the shifts are hard and quick, I told him I wanted the best of both worlds, and that is what I got. I don't think my gas mileage went down, not enough to notice anyway. Hope this all helps.

John

1992 Mustang LX 5.0-Powerdyne BD-11A, 3.73's, FRPP clutch, chrome Ponies, Mac headers, Aeromotive regulator, MSD 6A, MSD BTM, FRPP 42# injectors, Pro-Flow Air Optimizer, Trick Flow Track Heat intake, Edelbrock 75MM TB, AFM Power Pipe
Old 11-19-2004, 08:54 AM
eric

Thanks ill give him a call. was that just a rebuild or a whole new transmission ?