Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

going turbo

Old 06-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Mullet Powered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going turbo

Alright, i want to start working on my project soon after i know what i need to get in order to accomplish my goals of 500rwhp.

ive been reading up on all the type of forced induction and everything that all the manufacture have out now. but i want a real opinion on what im about to do. which is i want an honest 500rwhp street car that can be driven daily without the fear of dieing in case of rain or something like that. which leads me to the decision of going turbo on the 2v stang now. i was going to go kenne bell twin screw, but now i want a turbo so i can control the amount of power with the turn of a knob and not worry about pulley's and crap. plus the way im understanding now the kenne bell isnt all that great for daily driven cars like mine. anyways i want everyone's opinion on what type of turbo and the size i should go with when i start buying hardware for this project.

im running all forged internals with a dished piston of 10cc's which puts my compression at 8.5:1 so my car is just begging for boost.

03 Gt - SOLD!

88 LX Coupe - 308 with a few mods...
Old 06-14-2004, 05:43 AM
fab1up

500 rwhp is fairly easy to achieve w/ a 2V and a turbo.Personally I would do a 62-1,it is capable of 575 to 625 roughly and it would spool up in a hurry.Woolf aircraft or burns stainless or Accelerated autosports all have the materials you will need,Accelerated also sells a turn key kit that is of impeccable quality there number is 941-752-5839,ask for Tom,Jen,or Donny.

Shop#727-561-9440
Old 06-14-2004, 06:11 AM
Team Geritol Racing

Not a difficult goal at all. My best advice is to start reading www.turbomustangs.com for a wealth of information, tips and parts.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Daddy-O

Build a decent shortblock and throw a plate kit at it...
Old 06-14-2004, 11:13 AM
You'll See, O You'll See

Default Re: going turbo

Originally posted by mustangman98
Alright, i want to start working on my project soon after i know what i need to get in order to accomplish my goals of 500rwhp.

ive been reading up on all the type of forced induction and everything that all the manufacture have out now. but i want a real opinion on what im about to do. which is i want an honest 500rwhp street car that can be driven daily without the fear of dieing in case of rain or something like that. which leads me to the decision of going turbo on the 2v stang now. i was going to go kenne bell twin screw, but now i want a turbo so i can control the amount of power with the turn of a knob and not worry about pulley's and crap. plus the way im understanding now the kenne bell isnt all that great for daily driven cars like mine. anyways i want everyone's opinion on what type of turbo and the size i should go with when i start buying hardware for this project.

im running all forged internals with a dished piston of 10cc's which puts my compression at 8.5:1 so my car is just begging for boost.
sounds like fun good luck
Old 06-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Mullet Powered

Originally posted by Force Fed 23
+1. If its truly a daily driver, spray it.
i already have a 150 shot on it right now. but i have yet to hit due to lack of a fuel pump right now and a fuel pressure regulator. spray is just dangerous and alot of things can go worng and completely ruine my internals. just simple things like a frozen silenoid can kill my engine. i would hate to spend all that money on eagle h-beams, weisco pistons and a crankshaft to burn it all up.

03 Gt - SOLD!

88 LX Coupe - 308 with a few mods...
Old 06-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Driver

Keep in mind that with a 4.6 there really isnt alot of room to work with under the hood so if you plan on doing the work yourself you may want to consider that. I can never understand why people talk about changing how much boost they are running? unless you have no control over your right foot is see no reason to change it ever? It may be true that you can get more power with a turbo rather than a supercharger but you can get 500+ with a s/c and they can be very reliable but if you want much more than that you might as well lose the 2v and start over with a 4v IMO. BTW I just drove home in the rain w/o any problems.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Daddy-O

Originally posted by mustangman98
i already have a 150 shot on it right now. but i have yet to hit due to lack of a fuel pump right now and a fuel pressure regulator. spray is just dangerous and alot of things can go worng and completely ruine my internals. just simple things like a frozen silenoid can kill my engine. i would hate to spend all that money on eagle h-beams, weisco pistons and a crankshaft to burn it all up.
Nitrous isn't any more dangerous than the next power adder, they just destroy parts in different manners if you don't have the tune right. Go lean on a boosted setup and you'll create just as much damage. You're going to need a fuel pressure regulator and a bigger fuel pump going with a turbo setup, so I don't quite get the reasoning behind swapping power adders...
Best of luck either way, just hate to see you throw money at something when you could have a solid performer with the addition of 2 inexpensive pieces.

Derek