Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

tires rubbing on coil-overs!

Old 10-16-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy tires rubbing on coil-overs!

Is anybody else running a 18x9.5" wheel with coil-overs and having problems with the tire hitting the springs??? This problem has been going on for a while. It was originally a clunk sound like a spring binding and letting go, now if i'm backing out of a parking spot it's horrible. I finally had someone drive the car back and forth while i hung off the side of the car.

with the car sitting still and the wheels straight, there is about 1/4" clearance, and when the wheels are at full lock, there is about 1/8". my question, why would this change? if the strut is attached at the spindle, i would think that there should be no change in distance between the c/o and the wheel as they would move relative to each other.

anybody have any idea why this would be happening??

can i put a spacer on the front??

the wheels are 2000 Cobra R 18x9.5's with 255/45R18 Bridgestone s-03 pole position tires.

Thanks for any help!!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Daddy-O

What is the back spacing on the wheel? Yes you could probably put a spacer on, wouldn't go very thick though 1/8" probably...
Old 10-18-2003, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Mars_302
Id get some longer studs too if you are gonna use a spacer. Btw
How do you like those So3s?
i've been running them for a little over a year, with 2 trips from memphis to tampa and one to miami, and they still have a ton of tread left. In water these things are phenomenal. i've driven through 4 inches of standing water at about 50mph and the car didnt even flinch. they are very hydroplane resistant, and after 20K miles they still have more traction on wet than the RE730's had on dry...and on dry they almost grip too much.

I still dont know why the distance between the coil-over and the tire would change . since the strut is bolted to the spindle and the turning pivot of the wheel is at the top of the strut, the measurement should always be the same!!! Ugh...