Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Ford Lightning Vs. Hemi Ram

Old 09-24-2003, 06:38 AM
Sexist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by FordMan
If it is not a major secret then why doesn't Mopar have a high output V8 ?
Because they have a high output V10.

Mopar has always gone with more cubes to make power and the funny thing is they never come out with much more (if any) than their V8 oposition.
The closest thing to the V10 is the Z06 and it gets waxed by .3 to .4 on the dragstrip. That's an ass-kicking in anybody's book - except the loser's.

Look at the V10 (466 ? ), 440,380,360, etc.. None of them ever made much more than their competition at the time even with the CID advantage.
I don't know if you were around back then but they ALL had big cubes and they ALL won races.

So much info flying around about V10 history I'm not sure what is accurate and what isn't. But there are V10s put in trucks. I believe Ford has one also. To my knowledge they are all iron blocks.

FordMan, you of all people should be grateful to Dodge. If it wasn't for Dodge's "different" attitude and the Viper, Ford would have never decided to build next year's 500hp GT (as in GT40 not GT Mustang). Too bad they've back off on their "Viper Killer" objective and settled for taking the Modena. Shoulda packed more cubes.

Now if GM would fire all the accountants...
Old 09-24-2003, 06:44 AM
Devils advocate

Chuck,

Mother MOPAR does indeed have a highoutput V10. The problem is they went strait up market with it and gave the average guy who they used to target their muscle cars at the big FU. Verry few of us can drop $80K on a car even if we make that kind of money because we have familys to support. Not all of us are 40 year old single guys with big bank like you.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:05 AM
Sexist

I hear you Brian. But everything comes down to marketing decisions. GM and Ford dominate the V8 market and Chrysler-Dodge probably didn’t think that market would pay off. They made the correct decision since GM and Ford loyalists weren’t going to jump ship (me being the exception) for an entirely new motor from a company that hasn’t been a contender for years.

As for the Viper, it’s biggest allure is that it is an attainable car for the average motorhead if he/she is “driven” (pun intended). Can’t really say that about a Lambo. A used Viper 10 years old, 20K miles, can be had for 30K.

I apologize for stumbling onto this Ford section and talking about Dodge. Reilly buy the Lightening if you want a fast truck, buy the Dodge or a F150 if you want a work truck.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:16 AM
Devils advocate

Chuck,

All Dodge had to do was build the Stratus platform in RWD and put their truck 360 CI motor in it and called it a Cuda and priced it at $25-28K and it would have sold like hot cakes. The Prowler would have done the same without the Milquetoast V6.

But yes The Lightning is the way to go for a fast truck.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:29 AM
Sexist

Boy, I can't agree with you more on that damn V6 Prowler. A V8 in that would've blown off the showroom.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:33 PM
AuH20 in '64

Go Dodge.

Oh, btw...Scott, don;'t give me that technically advanced bullshit. Last time I checked, Dodge fucked EVERYONE else in '66 with the 426 Hemi. So bad were the ASSFUCKINGS on the big oval that they were banned by NASCAR. Boo fucking hoo, spend some damn r&d money and make your own instead of crying to the sanctioning bodies. Thank you, that is all.

Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:48 PM
AuH20 in '64

Nope, thems was all legal. It was the efficiency of the hemispherical combustion chamber and the angle of the valves that had a lot to do with it. I heard a story once about the restrictor plates disintegrating, but dems really was 426 cubes. That was a REAL engine. Hell, I would never take my focus to Garlit's museum...wouldn't feel right. I'd hafta throw on the mullet wig and gitterdun! with the RamCharger.

Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Airborne Paratrooper

I'd wait for the 2005 Lightning if I were you.