Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Name that leaking fluid!!

Old 09-01-2003, 08:22 PM
The little 5.0 that could

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name that leaking fluid!!

Ok, i parked my car in the driveway a couple days ago after i got back from school for about an hour.

When i got back my parents informed me there is some kind of fluid which made a small puddle on the driveway, i went to inspect and i was dumbfounded. What the hell is that? I said to myself. It was a light brown'ish color and leaked from under the tranny, but it seemed to be leaking from a seal where the driveshaft connects to the tranny.

So, I'm told the tranny fluid should be red, so wtf is it?
Old 09-01-2003, 08:25 PM
|-Resident LT1 Killer-|

Default Re: Name that leaking fluid!!

Originally posted by TheShow50h
Ok, i parked my car in the driveway a couple days ago after i got back from school for about an hour.

When i got back my parents informed me there is some kind of fluid which made a small puddle on the driveway, i went to inspect and i was dumbfounded. What the hell is that? I said to myself. It was a light brown'ish color and leaked from under the tranny, but it seemed to be leaking from a seal where the driveshaft connects to the tranny.

So, I'm told the tranny fluid should be red, so wtf is it?
suppppper old tranni fluid? lol

did u smell it at all? dip a finger in it and find out.
lick it and swallow, ok just kidding there but see if its something u have smelled before.
Could it be coolant from your heater core? dripping down the bellhousing to the driveshaft?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:33 AM

5 spd ... that might be what it is mars.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:35 AM
boostmonkey

When your hands are really really greasy, dip your finger in the puddle. Now take the fluid and rub it together with another finger. If it creates a very clean spot on your hand, congrats...it is tranny fluid. Tailshaft seals do leak on occasion. Especially if you have had the driveshaft out recently and you hit the seal the wrong way with the yoke. If it is leaking from there, it should be slung up all over in the driveshaft tunnel and your transmission should start to feel a bit more notchy.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:40 AM

Now, here's a real brain teaser ... IT STOPED LEAKING! I don't know if i should be happy or worried, i think ill go for the ladder.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Shake n' Bake

Gear oil leaking from the tailshaft seal on the tranny, just take out the driveshaft and get a new $3 seal and while its out get an aluminum driveshaft.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Shake n' Bake

Originally posted by TheShow50h
Now, here's a real brain teaser ... IT STOPED LEAKING! I don't know if i should be happy or worried, i think ill go for the ladder.
That means theres no more to leak out.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 AM

ok, I need help, lol. What are aluminum driveshafts good for anyway? How do they help?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:29 PM
No Mam

Aluminum drive shaft kill a lot of the driveline vibration most Mustangs have. Plus it frees up a little power due to less weight(inertia) to rotate on take off.

Take the plug out of the side of the transmission and stick your finger in. You should be able to touch the fluid. If it looks like the stuff on the ground, then you know where it came from.

Could it have just been some dirty water from a puddle? Is the spot still on the driveway?

Anyway, the rear tranny seal isn't a killer. All you got to do is unbolt the driveshaft and pull it out. A little fluid always dribbles out anyway.