The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

Question about Fox Body/Notches

Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Fox Body/Notches

So I've been on this website for a few years, but it's been a year since I logged on and I forgot all my sign in information. So, I had to create a new name that suits my ginger nature.

Anyways, I had an '04 GT until about a year ago when I got rid of it and got my truck...which I love...however, now I don't have a mustang anymore. So I've gotten the itch again for my favorite, the notch.

I have never owned a fox before, but I have always loved them and now I'm looking to start a project. I'm a firefighter in Pinellas so I have 2 days off between shifts to get some work done on it.

Really my question is what should I be looking for on these cars? I know my basics, but I don't know the problems that come with the fox body's as well as you guys do. I know to look for rust, leaks, etc... Like I said, I'm a firefighter, not a mechanic. The motor doesn't much matter to me, I just want the body. Are there any specific spots I should pay close attention to? I'm interested in the 87-93 btw.

I just want to make sure I don't buy something that I am going to regret once I start taking it apart. My budget is anywhere from $1K to about $3k for the car.

Anyways, like I said I was on here for a few years, but after I sold the mustang I fell off. I'm not a newbie, so be nice please

If anyone knows of a fox-notch for sale in my price range let me know.

Thanks ahead of time,
Brandon
Old 05-22-2012, 02:20 PM

I just retired after 32 years over there. I'm not a real FOX guy, but it does seem like the price of cherry FOX notch backs is going up quite a bit these days. I do know that all the FOX platform cars have no inherent vices, such as rust problems, you should still look for that but they don't fall apart like say Yugos or something. I'm sure somebody on here will help you out.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Team Geritol Racing

Check the cowl to firewall area for rust. leaves and debris tend to collect in the drain areas in the corner and occasionally rust thru. Zman was selling a nice one recently. Don't know if he still has it or not.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the tips. Any more tips are welcome. I've been looking at a few, think I have a good eye...but like I said I don't know the fox body as well as the SN95 or New Edge.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 AM

congrats on retiring! Yeah the prices are definitely going up...hard to find a non-abused fox anymore that isn't going for $10k or more.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 AM
I gota Cheby

thanks Tony, yep selling a 87 on here.I found something else I want so cash talks lol. check the sale sec here. its a 87 converted to mass air. A good solid project car.
yep they are all over the board in price ranges. If you can wait and search and have cash in your pocket you can find a deal sometimes. Also look in Craigslist Orlando, Lakeland and Sarasota. I sold my 93 LS1 coupe for over 9 grand last month , a nice DD coupe aod for 3800 last year so deals are around.

Only 1/4 mile track I know is Gandy Bridge
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM

Ive been on craigslist every day for 3 months lol. Checking all over Florida. I'll check the FS section, thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 AM

If you are going after a fox coupe my suggestion would be to buy the nicest one you can afford.

Things to look for: Like Tony said rust in the cowl area. Know the difference between the V8 vin and a 4cyl vin. The 1/4 windows can be repaired/refinished but new windows can be difficult to source. Look for cracked out mounting tabs on the dashboards. These cars have lots of plastic in them and it is easy to break/crack interior pieces. Speedometers tend to go out. If you buy a car with a broken speedo you may have to source a new dash cluster. The trunk lids on the coupes at the inner edges/seams tend to rust.

“My advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard".
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM

^^ Yep. THe little things will nickel and dime you to death too. If you don't care about the motor - at least make sure the interior is in good shape and all there. Those little bits add up. I have to buy a new power window switch and LMR wants $95 fricken dollars for one. OUCH!

93 Coupe - check out my blog - http://www.93coupe.com
01 Cobra - Stockified - Wife Owned and operated
68 Coupe PROJECT <- Been in the family for 25 years!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Sweet, good info guys thanks. I'm checking everyday to find something...seems more and more like I should spend over $3k to get something that I'm not going to have to kill myself on redoing. I love your fox coupe Stangonline, that's just ridiculous. Hoping to find something worth while by the end of summer.

Quick Reply: Question about Fox Body/Notches