The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

What I did to my car this morning.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
E & I Certified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I did to my car this morning.

Crappy Camera phone pics from my garage.

1) Drivers Axle
2) Passenger Axle

Just put two new axles in my wifes vic this morning. Used all factory Ford parts which ran me about $440 out the door.

It went well. I did it in about two hours. With new seals and bearings. The old seal was leaking on the passenger side which made me pull the axle and check its condition.

Back on the road again! I might pull mine to see how they are, I'm tired of working in the rain though.

Her car has 156k miles. The seals and bearings were not Ford that were in there. Makes me wonder.... the rear gears looked amazing.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Do It In The Dirt

How do you know they weren't Ford?

I can't see why the car would have worn out two sets of axles in 150k miles.

My Rail Buggy
Old 02-27-2010, 02:50 PM

150k miles is alot of miles.

If the bearings are bad and the axles were replaced with out replacing the bearings and fluid leaked past the seals,.. then its a recipe for repeating the same problem over and over. Must replace the bearings and seals when replacing axles. The seals are like $2 and the bearings are usually $5 - $6 per side.

My wife's Cobra had the driver side axle start pitting and created a humming noise and that was at barely 90k miles. Stock factory axles. When I pulled the rear cover off the fluid level in the rear was low. It had a 3.73 gear installed before we got the car. Who ever did it didnt fill the housing up completely. When the car would take left hand turns or go into left bends,.. the fluid would fall to the right side and leave the left side with just a film to protect the axle.

I ended up going with Yukon hardened 28 spline axles,.. replaced the axle bearings and seals. Added friction modifier and topped the oil off correctly. No more problems after that.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 02-27-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Do It In The Dirt

Well a gear install and low oil level would be a reason for an axle to wear out. But two sets of axles wearing out in a stock car with that mileage doesn't seem plausible.

My Rail Buggy
Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Well a gear install and low oil level would be a reason for an axle to wear out. But two sets of axles wearing out in a stock car with that mileage doesn't seem plausible.

If the seals were bad leaking oil,.. then yes. Its very plausible. I've seen it before. The bearings run dry and heats up the axle causing it to pit. Replace the axles with new one and dont replace the seals,.. then rinse and repeat,.. you've got 2 perfectly good sets of axle getting eaten up.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"