The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

Quick question::::

Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Called the amba lamps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question::::

So, if the Mustang market is at an all-time low, and cars that sold for $5,000 two years ago are selling for $3,000, why do other automotive parts hold their value?

It seems guys with superchargers and turbo kits are asking the exact same prices for the used kits as they were two years ago.

What am I missing here?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM

Catolog prices havent changed,.. matter of fact they've gone up. Now you might get a fox mustang with a blower than 2 - 3 yrs ago would have sold for $12k.. today he'll be lucky to get $8k for it.

If your talking strictly about car parts vs used car prices,.. well your talking apple and oranges. Not the same market. One example,.. I was looking on Autotrader.com last week and there was an 03 Cobra for sale for $14,500. Looked really clean and had 81k on the odometer. I'm willing to bet $13,500 cash would have bought that car. 2 yrs ago you couldnt touch an 03/04 Cobra for under $20k - $25k. Now only the low mileage pristine cars and heavily modified cars making 500+ hp are lucky to get $20k.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 02-24-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Called the amba lamps

I think it makes no sense.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by **CHRIS**
I think it makes no sense.

Sure it does. Supply and demand vs cost. Every market works the same.
If for example your expecting $1500 race wheels to sell for $100 used I think your expectations are a little off.

There are deals to be found,.. but its the same as it always has been,.. you have to be at the right place at the right time to find them.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 02-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Got traction?

Maybe people don't want to buy a whole new car and deal with dropping so much upfront and would rather modify their own car since its cheaper (in the short run maybe).
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by bitemark46
Maybe people don't want to buy a whole new car and deal with dropping so much upfront and would rather modify their own car since its cheaper (in the short run maybe).
Thats always been my philosophy. I usually keep a car for years transforming it several times and only when I am bored with it or frustrated do I get something else. I've been pretty lucky because I usually sell or trade to what I am wanting with little up front cash. I've taken a bath selling a car a few times,.. only because I had so much into it that I would never get it back. But then again I've flipped more cars than I can ever remember.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding his post fully. I'm guessing he's frustrated that he cant find a part he wants at a price he can afford. To which I revert to the supply and demand concept. A part is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Used Fox 140 MPH clusters are ridiculously priced between $150 - $250. Obviously people are paying that or else people wouldnt be asking that much.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Called the amba lamps

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
I'm guessing he's frustrated that he cant find a part he wants at a price he can afford.
You got it. It's like I see the value of Mustangs dropping to ridiculous prices and then a set of aluminum heads cost the same, if not more, than 2 years ago.

It just makes me mad that companies don't adjust their prices when the economy is down, seems like they'd sell more than the loss they would take on the price decrease.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Bondsman

Then you post up a new set of heads like I did...New Vr jr's w/rockers for $1300 and you have people wanting you to take $750 and payment s It dont make sense to me either. Maybe its my lack of selling skillz
Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by GNs-r-slow
Then you post up a new set of heads like I did...New Vr jr's w/rockers for $1300 and you have people wanting you to take $750 and payment s It dont make sense to me either. Maybe its my lack of selling skillz

Exactly.
I sold AFR 185 heads with some mild machine work, complete with Comp springs, and Comp Pro Magnum 1.6 RR's, titanium retainers the whole works,.. these heads were $2200 if you were to buy new and complete with all that,.. but sold for $1300 to AB,.. and I was happy I got that much. I thought I was going to be sitting on them for a couple months,.. then get pissed and drop the price to $1000 before someone would buy.

I got offers of $300,.. $500 and $600.
They would PM me,.. "I have $500 cash for your heads, Take it now I wont have it next week". Or the one kid who offered me $300 PM'd me back and wanted to know why I was asking so much and wouldnt take $300? I didnt even respond.

Or here is another,.. I specifically stand last winter that my TKO was only up for sale so I could buy my son a PS3 for Christmas. If it didnt sell before Christmas that I was keeping it. I got a PM 3 weeks ago with a guy offering $1500 for it. Told him its not for sale anymore. He says I need to take it because I'm not working and need the money. To which I did indeed respond,.. yes I'm broke and out of work. But I have a wife that makes $72k a year. I'm not poor.

Sorry for the rant. And nothing against you personally Chris. I will go out of my way to help people I dont even know. But sometimes I feel like people want to take kindness for a sign of weakness.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 02-24-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Got traction?

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
I will go out of my way to help people I dont even know.

Hurst
I have noticed this about you Hurst. That type of trait is becoming extinct. Don't loose it. You're a good man. The simple act of kindness is dying everyday in this world. If I see you at NMRA, I'd buy you a beer........oh wait coke. You don't drink I forgot.

To everyone else... Hurst was going to let me borrow his relative's lift so I can weld up my torque boxes. All he wanted in return was beer for his relative.

-Mark