The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

Yo!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toyo's , the best tire made if you ask me just a lil pricy. I've worked in various tire shops. Kumho's are the best for the buck , but if money isnt the issue Toyo's are the best. I have them on my wifes xterra , and they are an 80k mile tire . Goodyears are shit , the day I put a new set on my vette ,was the day I totalled it. Always ran nitto or toyo and I got a good deal on goodyear. Big mistake
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 AM
BuLLiTT

well i guess ill have to go toyo then and i can agree with goodyear being bad
everytime i see a new goodyear tire they barely have any rubber so if toyos are good im going with them no matter the price just as long as they can grip at any weather
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM

I had Sumitomo (Spelling?) on my truck when I first got it. Has 20x8.5 factory wheels, 275/55 R20 tires. The Sumitomo's were the worst tire I have ever driven on. Any kind of acceleration in the rain other then 1/8th throttle resulted in wheel spin from a standing stop. Hydroplaned like mad even with only moderate standing water puddles. Very dangerous tires. I refused to let my wife drive the truck if it was raining. I finally had one blow out with my wife's Cobra on the trailer and it did it at the very top of the Skyline bridge,.. and I wasnt stopping on that bridge,.. so rimmed it down to the bottom to the closest safe spot to get off on the shoulder. That was the final straw. I spent almost $900 for new Toyo tires because they came highly recommended like what you guys are saying now and I wanted the best tire on my truck. I'm here to say Toyo truck tires SUCK.

They were no better in the rain than the Sumi's. I was trailering a 53 Chevy for my father inlaw from Md back down here to Fla. Made it to Md fine,.. on the way back loaded with the 53 on back the first tire blew just south of Richmond. Putting the spare on at 1am on the side of the expressway is quite a rush. Then the second tire blew in NC just outside of Charlotte. I had to call AAA to get towed to a tire center. Sleep in the truck till they opened up. They were a Toyo rep and I got 2 new tires for free. Fortunately I had the paperwork still in the truck. The other tires were only 2 months old. Then with 2 brand new tires on the back I made it almost through to Ga just before the Fla line and boom,.. tire exploded. I put my spare on and made it 2 blocks from my father inlaws place and boom,.. other tire exploded. I turned the tires back in and through a heated debate got my money back.

Now you guys can laugh all you want. But I read review after review trying to find a good all season tire that was weight rated for my truck and ended up with General Grabber HTS tires. At $125 a tire they didnt break the bank like the $219 a tire Toyo's did. The General Grabber HTS are excellent in the rain. Ass end doesnt get squirrelly in the rain. They'll take 70 - 75mph pulling a loaded car trailer for hours on end. Truck has a 5.3 and its only rated 295hp and 330 torq so its not exactly a race truck,.. but it did put down 261/319 bone stock on Rev Extreme's dyno a year ago during a dyno day picnic event. I'm a staunch supporter for General tires now. Well at least for the Grabber HTS tires. I have almost 19k miles on them and they still have over 80% tread. For a car, Toyo might show better results. Hell they might do ok in a 97 4.6 F150 with 155 rwhp. But for a truck with factory 20" wheels pulling a car trailer,.. Toyo is the suxor in my opinion.

Another tire I had good experience with on my trucks is Bridgestone Deuler all terrain tires. Those tires lasted me 60k miles on my old F250. And anyone who's had an F250 knows they like to chew up the front tires.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 12-09-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 AM

sorrt to hear of your expierience with toyo. I agree aboout sumi's tho. Thats what was on my wife's when I bought it. Total garbage. I 've never heard a bad thing about toyo's from anyone before now.It's like everything else , you need go with what YOU think is best . its your truck. Bridgestones are great tires as ar firestone , but my reccomendation for any tire over 18 inch is toyo or nitto.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Still CREEPIN

Super Swampers... Lift that bitch! Rancho has all you're lift needs covered.

TurboRAM Member #5
24psi & Stable
GET SOME

Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Resident TOB Killer

I'll second the no Sumi's comments! I bought a set of the HTR+ tires for my Mustang. Dry traction was actually really good for my stock Stang the first WEEK of owning them. Now, with only a couple thousand miles on the tires, I spin, and wet traction is nearly non-existent. I've heard good reviews on Toyos, and obviously you can't go wrong with a good Nitto either!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:54 AM

treadwear ratings tell you a lot . The higher the number , the longer it will last , the harder the compound. The lower the number , the softer the compound. It wont last as long , but it will stick to the ground better . Hence the 100 treadwear rating on a nitto 555R . The highest rating out there is a 770 , and its on a vogue tire. Next is the 700 on a Toyo. It all depends on what you want ,traction or life . Find something like a 400 and you should be o.k if you're looking for both