The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

new to the mustang world

Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the mustang world

hey everyone, i just got a 91 gt the im doing a lil work on but im minding it hard to find any shops the works on them, i live in winter haven and theres a few things that i want to get do and one of them is switching out the tranny with a manual. right now it has a aod tranny, at least thats what im hereing it called. it only hold the gear for a short amount of time and a few people is telling me that it is killing my times, so if anyone can help i would appreciate it, also someone told me i could do something to get more rpms out of this tranny???? i dunno thanks

Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Team Geritol Racing

Look in this thread for shops to work on your car. They are all good. Find one that is convenient for you or that strikes your fancy and go there.

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/f...rd-worked.html

As for the AOD to manual...if the best times at the track are what you are after, swap out the AOD for a C4 automatic. There are those who think that it is "Fun" to stir the gears witha a manual tranny, which it may be to a certain extent. But if your idea of "Fun" is to kick the crap out of the guy in the next lane, get the C4. If all else is equal, a properly set up automatic will destroy an equally setup manual. (Disregard the bullshit posts that will follow this one)
Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM

Switching from an AOD to a 5spd makes the car much funner and faster. AOD's take more engine power to drive creating HP loss. If the engine is stock the RPM's are only gonna go so high before it makes no more HP and starts to fall off. About 5500 RPM and thats's around where your AOD should shift if I remember correctly. But you will launch much quicker with the 5spd and have better 1/4 miles times
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't put a C4 in uless I had an 10 sec car or I didn't know how to drive. Unless this isn't a stock car were talking about. Cause if I wanna kick some ass at the track I'm gonna want a high stall convertor, but I sure don't wanna drive that on the street for my DD.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:11 AM

thanks guys for your input, the car isnt stock but it still has a ways to go before ill be hiting 10s. but thanks for your help

Old 10-30-2009, 05:34 AM
Got traction?

Originally Posted by DrDirt
Look in this thread for shops to work on your car. They are all good. Find one that is convenient for you or that strikes your fancy and go there.

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/f...rd-worked.html

As for the AOD to manual...if the best times at the track are what you are after, swap out the AOD for a C4 automatic. There are those who think that it is "Fun" to stir the gears witha a manual tranny, which it may be to a certain extent. But if your idea of "Fun" is to kick the crap out of the guy in the next lane, get the C4. If all else is equal, a properly set up automatic will destroy an equally setup manual. (Disregard the bullshit posts that will follow this one)
Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Still CREEPIN

Lol @ MustangDan...

If you plan on actually building up the car for some kinda decent hp/tq and just wanna have fun, get a decent 5-6 speed. WORLD Class or maybe a Tremec. Fox's are fun cars to play with bro. Alot of potential with these cars. You will have fun with it. Just learn to drive it, considering its you're first,... Its nothing like a 'Del Slo'. Lol.

Good luck and PM returned!

TurboRAM Member #5
24psi & Stable
GET SOME

Old 10-31-2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth Mode
Lol @ MustangDan...

If you plan on actually building up the car for some kinda decent hp/tq and just wanna have fun, get a decent 5-6 speed. WORLD Class or maybe a Tremec. Fox's are fun cars to play with bro. Alot of potential with these cars. You will have fun with it. Just learn to drive it, considering its you're first,... Its nothing like a 'Del Slo'. Lol.

Good luck and PM returned!

im not lieing when i say this but my del sol has way more power then 9 of of 10 mustangs i come across, but i have always loved the fox body. on that note how do i change my user name

Old 10-31-2009, 03:48 AM
Bondsman

Originally Posted by slow del sol
on that note how do i change my user name
Already scarred for life!!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:11 AM
5.0 Under Construction

Sean @ ALL AMERICAN STREET CAR PERFORMANCE! Specializing in FOXBODY Mustangs...and all.. But, heard ALOT! of good things about ProFab and a few others as well.... I can ONLY speak from experience tho... AASCP