The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

If you had $$$ to start a local business...

Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
put more stickers on it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had $$$ to start a local business...

What would you do?

Let's say you had up $100k to invest (some your $$, some borrowed, and some from silent partners). Franchises seem to be out or to a minimum. I've already talked to Chick-fil-a, McD's, Jimmy Johns, Subway, Quiznos, Taco Bueno, Taco Cabana, etc.

I would want it to be in the Brandon, Riverview, East Tampa area.

I'm a pretty good problem-solver and I can perform a lot of tasks well, so I'm not scared to step in and run the business for an extended period of time to get it off it's feet.

Ideas - oil change place, tow company, uhaul, storage, etc. Performance and accessory shops always seem to do well, if the person running it is honest and treats customers well.

Last edited by kenny c; 07-01-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I can fix your bullshit

performance/accessory shop on a main road rack in the dough for sure
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 PM

worked at a shell oil change place for years... good luck with the price of oil, and if you want the shell name i think the owner told me they needed aleast 500,000 in assets

performance/upgrades... your going to have eleventy billion kids in there saying i can get it cheaper on ebay

storage facilties... they are offering to rent units you only hve to pay every other month now

i would look into the towing companies... there will always be a demand for a wrecker service
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
brings his heater.

FIVE GUYS hamburgers, all day
Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I can fix your bullshit

Originally Posted by Steve B
FIVE GUYS hamburgers, all day

good call forgot about them. burgers ftw
Old 07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
brings his heater.

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
good call forgot about them. burgers ftw
Every time i've been there that place is jamming.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I can fix your bullshit

best fast not really food joint on the planet
Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Bondsman

i would look into the towing companies... there will always be a demand for a wrecker service
Repo, the way the economy is there is a lot of vehicles being repoed. Also have a regular tow so you can get on the police department towing rotatoin
Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM

Pita Pit: www.pitapitusa.com <~~last time I checked into starting one it was a buck and a quarter to get under way. These places are a God send; do exceptionally well at or near a college town/campus.

Tow Company is a great business because you're able to be so diverse in your work. Tow for car dealers, end users, wholesalers, auctioneers, or even tow for Repo deals for banks/finance companies. Not to mention that you could also offer delivery of internet purchases within a certain distance from one another (ie: Miami to Jax). The only setback to this business is the cost of gas at this point, you'll have to charge an arm & a leg at today's costs.

Outside of starting a business, have you considered leveraging some of that money? Investing it into other peoples businesses first, to earn some passive income and maybe multiply your starting figures, splitting your profits (now) with the silent partners, etc - and then building enough of a nest-egg to where when you're ready to start your own business you can do so on your OWN dime!?!?

-Jo$h
Old 07-01-2008, 02:14 PM
put more stickers on it

Originally Posted by MiDiablo
Pita Pit: www.pitapitusa.com <~~last time I checked into starting one it was a buck and a quarter to get under way. These places are a God send; do exceptionally well at or near a college town/campus.

Tow Company is a great business because you're able to be so diverse in your work. Tow for car dealers, end users, wholesalers, auctioneers, or even tow for Repo deals for banks/finance companies. Not to mention that you could also offer delivery of internet purchases within a certain distance from one another (ie: Miami to Jax). The only setback to this business is the cost of gas at this point, you'll have to charge an arm & a leg at today's costs.

Outside of starting a business, have you considered leveraging some of that money? Investing it into other peoples businesses first, to earn some passive income and maybe multiply your starting figures, splitting your profits (now) with the silent partners, etc - and then building enough of a nest-egg to where when you're ready to start your own business you can do so on your OWN dime!?!?

-Jo$h
good ideas - anything further on someone else's business? I need to figure something like that out... I presume you mean something like this - approach a performance shop that is doing ok, and offer to invest some $$ for a dyno. In return, a "guarantee" on the $$ or a % of ownership.