The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

Gun owners take action NOW!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would always warn people about statistics (even the ones I posted).
During the last week we scraped up several motorcycle riders who were doing incredibly stupid things. (85 mph, doing a wheelie over the Courtney Campbell)
my question is, since Pinellas County has had this "surge of bike deaths" over the past week do we:
1. ban motorcycles
2. limit motor cycles to 35mph
3. ban stupid people

Clearly, what we need is more government intervention.

in any case, please go back to:

States which have recently changed their laws have experienced
reductions in homicide rates. Since 1987, when Florida enacted a
favorable CCW law, its homicide rate has dropped 22%, even while the
national rate has risen 15%. Only .007% of Florida CCW permits have been
revoked because of a crime after licensure.

or maybe:
* England now has twice as many homicides with firearms as it did
before adopting its repressive laws, yet its politicians have responded to
rising crime by further restricting rifles and shotguns. During the past
dozen years, handgun-related robbery has risen 200% in Britain, five times
as fast as the rise in the U.S.

or even:
Since enacting a virtual handgun ban in 1976, Washington, D.C.'s
murder rate has risen 200%, with a 300% rise in handgun-related
homicide, as handgun use went from less than 60% of killings to 83%. No
gun law in any city, state or nation has ever reduced violent crime, or
slowed its rate of growth, compared to similar jurisdictions.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:29 PM
The sig nazi's bitch...

Originally Posted by 95coBraSVT
Your story was WRITTEN in 2006, but was ABOUT 2005 numbers....Not 2006 when the law was enacted. Therefore, your numbers in this story are not valid.
Yes, but the rise BEGAN in 05 and carried into 06.....and the numbers are perfectly valid and explain the rise.....

And BTW, the murder rate is higher in DC, where there was a handgun ban, than it is in Baghdad...

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, 6M, Brembos, nav and HIDs
Flowmaster catbacks, K&N drop in, for now!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 PM
banana republic

Originally Posted by blacksheep-1
During the last week we scraped up several motorcycle riders who were doing incredibly stupid things. (85 mph, doing a wheelie over the Courtney Campbell)
my question is, since Pinellas County has had this "surge of bike deaths" over the past week do we:
1. ban motorcycles
2. limit motor cycles to 35mph
3. ban stupid people
How about step up police patrols in the immidiate vicinity of said "surge of bike deaths". Obviously, they're breaking the laws when they wreck....Maybe more police patrols will curb their appitite a bit or at least move it out of those areas. In addition, add to the mix taking away their bike if they get caught doing certain crims, such as riding on one wheel (front or back), or breaking the speed limit by more than double.

With your three examples, it is a classic example. If you take something away completely, expect the crimes with it to rise. Take the guns away completely, yes, the hand gun crimes will rise a lot. Take away firearms completely, and almost EVERYONE becomes a criminal, so the "crime rate" rises. Nope, biased and unfair comparison.

Deterance is never a complete answer. There never is. There are ALWAYS loopholes and exceptions to the rules.

Originally Posted by rotarykidd
maybe i just like rainbows and puke, who says it has to be a gay thing?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 AM

Looks like the bill is on its way Criminal Justice Committe likes it now lets see what the Judiciary committee does with it.

Guns-At-Work Bill Gains Hold
Old 03-20-2008, 04:29 AM
banana republic

Originally Posted by ShakinIt
Yes, but the rise BEGAN in 05 and carried into 06.....and the numbers are perfectly valid and explain the rise.....
A .1 raise in the rate nationally for 2005 doesn't explain anything. 2003 saw a .1 rise, then 2004 saw a .2 DROP. then a .1 raise again in 2005.

Further, FLORIDA was right at 5.4 and saw a .4 DROP from 2004 to 2005, not a rise, but rather a DROP, then all of a sudden it skyrockets up 1.2 in 2006. Thats almost a whole point and a quarter, not a fraction of a point.

And BTW, the murder rate is higher in DC, where there was a handgun ban, than it is in Baghdad...
THATS scarry shit right there. However, I believe the numbers are biases again here and they are only including murders by insurgents in Baghdad, and not regular crime.

Also remember what I stated before though.....
If you take something away completely, expect the crimes with it to rise. Take the guns away completely, yes, the hand gun crimes will rise a lot. Take away firearms completely, and almost EVERYONE becomes a criminal, so the "crime rate" rises.
When you remove the guns completely, it becomes a way for the criminal to use a "designer" weapon against a non-callused victim. If the victims KNOW there aren't supposed to be guns in their town, and someone pulls one out, then they have even MORE fear than they did before. This feeds right into a criminals mind as criminals feed on fear.

Originally Posted by rotarykidd
maybe i just like rainbows and puke, who says it has to be a gay thing?