First Stop - Meets and Greets - The Newbie Forum Your 1st post should start here. Introduce yourself. Tell us about you, where you are from, what you drive and what brings you to TR

moving to tampa. help.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:15 PM
putting on the ritz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving to tampa. help.

hey guys how are you doing? i'm getting ready to move down to tampa (riverview specifically). could someone tell me about the area? is riverview nice?

i'm coming from virginia beach which has a population of about 600k, but has no nightlife at all compared to my hometown (orlando/cocoabeach)

how's tampa rate?

i'm 20, drive a 1997 cobra w/vortech s-trim (490hp/400tq), should run high 10s but you know how that goes (i'm the worst driver ever. )

what i'm really curious about is what's there to do in tampa and surrounding areas.. i'm really into indie music, jazz lounges, blues lounges, etc. anything like that there? here in no'folk we have a place called relative theory records, its a used record store that has a coffee shop and a stage for local bands (stuff like bloc party, buzz rock etc) to come out and jam.. sometimes the music isn't the best but it beats anything else out here.. the area really looks like orange ave in orlando, hoping you guys have something like that

i'm honestly not into cars anymore selling my cobra soon hopefully before i get down there.. looking to grab a 540i/TSX or something luxurious..

sorry for the long post; cliffnotes

1; im moving to Riverview shortly (couple of months if not sooner) How is riverview?
2; going to college somewhere.. not sure yet..BS systems engineering.. whats the "nice" college out there
3; curious as to what there is to do in tampa/surrounding area, music wise! im not a club hopper, i like to go hear blues/jazz/punk(interpol, joydiv, bloc party etc type stuff)

thanks in advance guys

heres my slobra, and the prelude i had in highschool so you guys know im not some domestic e-thug

the preludes the JDM S2000 Monte carlo blue paint..terrible camera though doesnt bring out the blue

oh, yeah, my cobra doesnt have those nasty clears anyomre. bleh.

Last edited by indiegeek; 04-16-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:30 PM
You'll love me.

welcome!! Both are very clean cars.

Riverview is pretty nice. Like all areas here...there's the good part of town and the bad part of town.

You're about 20 minutes away from Ybor City which is a HUGE party area w/ TONS of clubs, restaurants, bars, etc.

Again, welcome. Great introduction, I might add. We usually just see "I'm new, holla" Yours was great.

I'm from Lynchburg, Va.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:48 PM
5 Foot Fury

I'm pretty into the same stuff you are as far as music goes. You probably won't like most of the clubs in Ybor, but there is a place called the Orpheum that plays great music and usually has some pretty good shows going on. There's also New World Brewery. If you're 21+ that place is rad. They also play pretty good indie stuff and have shows. They are both owned by the same people. As far as jazz lounges, etc, we have plenty. I personally haven't been to any, though I've wanted to go. I know there's a few good ones in downtown St. Petersburg.

Anyhow, if you want anymore info you can PM or IM me. Nice Cobra, by the way! My brother has a 540i. They are really nice. As are the TSX's. Welcome.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:11 PM
You'll need it!!!

Keep the Cobra!!! you will fit right in here.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:11 AM

nice cobra man! what do you do for a living?

Kevin *Slo Si* 9/13/06 RIP! You will be missed! Godspeed!

We will miss you Pablo. Take care man. 1!
Old 04-17-2005, 12:20 PM
putting on the ritz

thanks for the kind replies guys

well I'm supposed to be a Systems Engineer eventually, my goal is to be an Enterprise Architect (IT, not building houses) in the long run but that's really up there. i'm not done with college yet so i'd been doing an internship with lockheed martin, work parttime at home depot (special services), i'm moving to tampa to do geotechnical consultation w/MHC/gsignal if it works out.

i should know tomorrow

i need to transfer over to USF/UT and get that over with..taking breaks from college is bad..badbadbad.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:42 PM
slash

welcome and good luck w/getting settled in. they pretty much already gave you some good advice on where to go and about how riverview is. i live in riverview, i like it. just dont go to gibsonton if you dont have to, its kinda scary there. if you like midgets and the smell of cabbage you may like it though, its the carny capital of the world! lol...so, are you going to be working at the home depot call center on 301? i work at progressive, not far from there.
TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee

Old 04-17-2005, 01:02 PM
putting on the ritz

carny as in carnival?

oh, great. im petrified of clowns

no i should be working for gsignal/mhc which is supposedly 30minutes from riverview in sarasota or tampa.

home depots just my parttime job here, mhc is about triple the pay..but its consultant work, so who knows how long it will last

i'll find out tomorrow morning if its a go or not.. trying to not get depressed over what i'm leaving here, hopefully its worth it..

Last edited by indiegeek; 04-17-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Caribbean Queen

id watch out for april. she likes to lead guys on then break their hearts by telling you shes married.

oh and welcome btw

formally known as d33flat
1991 nissan 300zx - Sold
1989 240sx sil80. not stock anymore yay!(dead in the driveway)
2005 Dodge SRT4 (new DD!)
Old 04-17-2005, 01:13 PM
slash

and yes, carny as in carnival people! i am scared of clowns too, but i'm talking more about jojo the dog faced boy, lobster boy and fishman! lol.....gibsonton is the next town over from riverview, its mostly trashy, with trailers and some houses w/ferris wheels and cotton candy stands in the yard. i guess its not deed restricted over there or something...just dont go down gibsoson dr west of I-75 toward 41 and you should be fine! you wouldnt even know that town is there if i hadnt told you, its not that big of a deal, its just fun to make fun of it!
btw, im just messing w/you, all this is true though, except its probably not as bad as you're picturing it!

Originally Posted by d33flat
id watch out for april. she likes to lead guys on then break their hearts by telling you shes married.

oh and welcome btw
i didnt lead anyone on, you're just mad bc you cant have me!
TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee

Quick Reply: moving to tampa. help.