Drag Racing Don't like turns? Tech talk about drag racing and drag event discussions here

Yokohama AO32R's for Drag?

Old 02-08-2005, 06:33 PM
not available

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokohama AO32R's for Drag?

Does anyone have any experience with running these tires at the strip? How do they perform compared to say, BFG drag radials? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:00 PM
not available

That is what I figured. Has anyone ever used these at the track?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Turn 7 at Sebring

A032R's are an auto-x/ open track tire. They won't build heat as quick as a street tire. If you run them, heat them up real good. I had 205 50 15 Azenia st215's at the track a couple of weeks ago and they broke loose in 2nd gear.

Last edited by RoadRacer; 02-14-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:19 PM
You'll need it!!!

If you want traction buy the M/T drag radial. It is superior to and drag radial on the market. Much better than the BFG.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:02 PM
not available

Does the M/T drag come in 225/50-15? Do they sell them on tirerack or discounttiredirect ?

Will the stick better then a street tire without heating them up? I mean, I can heat them up, I was just trying to get a comparison. I can run 1.8 - 1.9 60 foot on street tires, just hoping I can get an extra tenth or two from these. I should buy the drag radials, but I need the tires to last atleast a thousand miles.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 AM
You'll need it!!!

Originally Posted by MR2driver
Does the M/T drag come in 225/50-15? Do they sell them on tirerack or discounttiredirect ?

Will the stick better then a street tire without heating them up? I mean, I can heat them up, I was just trying to get a comparison. I can run 1.8 - 1.9 60 foot on street tires, just hoping I can get an extra tenth or two from these. I should buy the drag radials, but I need the tires to last atleast a thousand miles.
1) You cannot buy these tires from discount or tirerack. Gearhead Performance or AE will have them.

2) They do not make a 225/50/15. You would have to go with the BFG
G force drag radial. These can be bought from Discount tire.

3)http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.html - Link for M/T

4) BFG and M/T drag radials should be good for 7 - 9K miles depending on how you drive.

5) You can step up to a 235/60/15 which is what I run. This is a little taller tire but you can get it a Mickey Thompson tire.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:55 PM
not available

thanks for your response. Those M/T tires in that size are probably a little too sticky. I haven't upgraded my axles yet, so with those, I will defenetly pop one. It was said above that he lost traction in second, I am guessing with an S13 which has no weight in the back. I think I am going to just take my chances with the AO32R's. I normally get about 5-6k miles out of street tires because of my car's layout and suspension settings. From friends I hear the life of these are about 3k miles, and this on front drive, so I should be able to get what I need out of them. I was just hoping someone would have some drag experience on them and could maybe describe how well they work or don't work.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
You'll need it!!!

Originally Posted by MR2driver
thanks for your response. Those M/T tires in that size are probably a little too sticky. I haven't upgraded my axles yet, so with those, I will defenetly pop one. It was said above that he lost traction in second, I am guessing with an S13 which has no weight in the back. I think I am going to just take my chances with the AO32R's. I normally get about 5-6k miles out of street tires because of my car's layout and suspension settings. From friends I hear the life of these are about 3k miles, and this on front drive, so I should be able to get what I need out of them. I was just hoping someone would have some drag experience on them and could maybe describe how well they work or don't work.
If I were you I would buy the BFG G Force. It is a cheaper tire to buy any will provide you with excellent traction and excellent performance. I used mine for 8k. Check them out at www.tire.com before you make your decision. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:40 PM

I think you need to do alot more research on tires if your still considering using the ao32r's for drag. Iam using those currently on my crx with hx's. They are not a drag radial tire. Very stiff side wall. Great for autocrossing or road and track use but not drag racing. Very noisy tires to. I love them but not for drag.

Last edited by crx1.8; 02-13-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Yokohama AO32R's for Drag?