Drag Racing Don't like turns? Tech talk about drag racing and drag event discussions here

How much gas?

Old 12-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Got traction?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much gas?

I would always race with 1/2 a tank of gas. But I wanna try to get as much weight out of the car as I can. I was thinking of running with a 1/4 tank or less. My dilema is I'm fearing I wouldn't be able to hit the tires as hard due to less weight on the rear. But less weight I know is better. Which would be the best way to go? Or does it matter or am I just rambling a bunch of garbage? -Mark
Old 12-21-2004, 08:13 AM

A lot of the big bracket racers I know keep the tank full all the time. Thats more just to keep the car the same weight every time and keep it consistant. I would try it both ways, if your car still hooks with not much gas, do it that way if you get gains. Maybe run a little less air in the tires if you need to. If I remeber right your car seems to hook pretty well anyway.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Got traction?

Billy- I guess I could syphon it out. I hate drinking gas.

ChevelleSS- I don't know if I can go lower psi. I normally run them cold at 10lbs. I wanna try to get consistant mid 1.5's I guess I could run under a 1/4 tank and if it spins I could throw the spare tire back in. -Mark
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Daddy-O

1/4 tank should be fine for you with slicks, etc.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Fry Rice

One dilema about having 1/4-1/2 is the sloshing around of the gas in the tank during your starts... it may not sound like a big deal but liquid is heavy and you can think of it as having a few bowling balls in your trunk.

This is a THEORY but it is very understandable and has been tested... gas moving around like that can really throw off the balance of the car so you may see quicker times with more or less gas regardless of traction.