Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle Tech Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle

Funny sound on hard takeoff!!! (Neon)

Old 09-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Funny sound on hard takeoff!!! (Neon)

I have an 03 Dodge Neon SXT 2.0, sohc, at, bone stock! When I take off at a grandma's pace it's all good, but anything more and it all goes wrong. There is a odd rapid clunking sound and poof there goes the A/C, PS belt. The sound is comming from the front passengerside, from what I can tell. If I let off it and the Rpms dive it stops. This sound doesnt come when I make tight but slow turns. This also happens if I hit the passing gear the belt goes bye-bye! I have found the belt before and it is not torn or harmed at all. It just flys off. What could it be , or do i just need to invest in a belt company?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Is workin on his car

Check the alignment of all the pullies and make shure nothing is bent/loose/or outta shape. Also check to make shure the tensioner is in proper working order. Also check to see if the A/C compress is working properly.

Last edited by 91Notch; 09-08-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:56 PM

^ like above, my neon alternator belt always flew off...turned out it was out of alignment by a tiny amount but still enough at high rpm to fly off....also my alt was frozen and not connected it was spinning freely with no belt or presure on it then realised with the belt tight there wa a point where the alt pulley slowed for a moment. try belt dressing tighten the alt, and check the tensioner