Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle Tech Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle

Diagnose My Car Issue Please ... Possible Tranny Replacement

Old 11-08-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Diagnose My Car Issue Please ... Possible Tranny Replacement

I Own A '93 Dodge Shadow ES (3.0L V6 - Automatic). It Was Running Great Until A Few Days Ago.

The Issue: About Five Minutes Into Driving, The Shadow Is No Longer In Gear. Switching Gears Makes No Difference. I Must Turn The Car Off, Wait A Few Minutes, Restart The Car Then I Can Get It Into Gear And Give It Some Before The Power (Through The Wheels) Dies Down Again (A Few Seconds Of Pedal To The Metal). Then I Loose All Power To The Wheels Again. The Engine Remains On.

There Is Now A High Pitch Frequency Sound When I Step On The Gas.

After Getting The Serpentine Belt Replaced Because It Was Off Where It Should Have Been, The Shadow Worked Fine For A Week But After I Turned The Air Conditioner On, The Stalling Issues Came Back ... This Time Whether I Have The AC On Or Off. A Friend Told Me That It Could Be An Air Condition Compressor That's Causing This.

If Not, I'll Likely Have A Second Opinion Done At Another Shop To See If They Come Up With The Same Solutions.

Any FeedBack From Someone In The Know Would Be Greatly Appreciated (OMG, I Am Begging ) Thanks.

The Estimated Price Tag Is $1700+

Is This An Electrical Issue, Computer Issue, Or Transmission Replacement Issue? And How Much Would It Run If It Were One Of These Issues?

Any Help Greatly Appreciated. Thank You.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Have you checked the tranny fluid? Is it brown and burnt? what was the last time you performed the filter and fluid change on the tranny?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 PM

I've Checked The Tranny Fluid, It's Red ... Not The Brightest Of Red But Still Red, Like It's About To Turn Brown.

As Far As Filters, I Had A Tune-Up Done On The Shadow, Refilling Of Fluids, About 2 Or So Years Ago. I Don't Drive It Much, It's A 13 Year Old Car With 84,000 Miles On It. So, The Answer Is I Haven't Checked The Main Filter. I "Assumed" The Shop Checked It But Then Again, Some Shops Aren't Quite Honest These Days. Could The Air Filter Be Responsible For This?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:33 PM

No, not air filter, the transmission filter might be very dirty and it's not letting fluid to go through, i would advise you to change the transmission filter which requires transmission pan removal to change it, than refill with new transmission fluid, if its making noises than it might be too late, a rebuild can be done for $1K that would save you $700+