Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle Tech Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle

98 neon

Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 neon

I have a 98 neon DOHC with the check engine light on. The error is 43 "Multiple / Single cylinder misfire" The car runs rough when its cold in the morning but is fine after a little warm up. I put new plugs, cables on less then 10k miles ago. Any ideas????

Thanks in advance for the help

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:11 PM

i have the same problem in my tiburon. im pretty sure its plugs. the life of the plugs isnt important its what happens in that life. you can foul out plugs in ten minutes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-30-2005, 10:24 AM
big turbo=little traction

try the coil...there famous for going out...check ur timing sensors as well......i go through plugs as soon as i let it idle for a minitue....
Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Grandpa

two tsb's come up that prob help. One, unless you do it yourself, will cost you a fortune . Dealers will usually flash your PCM for about $40.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
NO: 18-47-98

SUBJECT: Symptomless Misfire Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s)

DATE: Dec. 18, 1998

NOTE: THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.0L SOHC/DOHC ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO NOV. 3, 1998 (MDH 1103XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some vehicles may exhibit a condition where the MIL illuminates for misfire but no reasons can be found for the misfire fault occurrence. In some cases, there may be minor engine roughness on initial cold engine start - up. Customers may explain the condition as a MIL illumination "only" with no other symptoms felt or noticed. In many cases the occurrence is experienced on a cold engine start.

DIAGNOSIS:

Using the Mopar Diagnostic System (MDS/MDS2) or the Diagnostic Scan Tool (DRB III®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual, verify all engine/transmission systems are functioning as designed. If non misfire related Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin. If SINGLE or MULTIPLE CYLINDER MIS-FIRE DTC’s are present, follow all mis-fire diagnostics listed in the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual before proceeding with this flash repair. If no cause for the MIS-FIRE DTC’s are found, perform the Repair Procedure.

NOTE: WHENEVER A POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) IS REPLACED DUE TO FAILURE, THE SOFTWARE OF THE REPLACEMENT CONTROLLER SHOULD BE VERIFIED FOR THE LATEST REVISION LEVEL. USE THE FLASH PROCEDURE TO UPDATE REPLACED CONTROLLERS AS NECESSARY.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
NO: 18-18-99

SUBJECT: Multiple Cylinder Misfire Due to Carbon Deposits

DATE: Aug. 13, 1999

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves verifying PCM software and installing revised valve springs.

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.0L DOHC ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO NOVEMBER 3, 1998 (MDH 1103XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Engine roughness/misfire usually only apparent on initial cold engine start. May be accompanied by a MIL illumination for SINGLE or MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE DTC’s.

DIAGNOSIS:

Using the Mopar Diagnostic System (MDS2) and/or the Diagnostic Scan Tool (DRB lll®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual, verify all engine /transmission systems are functioning as designed. If non-misfire related DTC’s are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin. If SINGLE or MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE DTC’s are present, follow all misfire diagnostics listed in the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual and verify TSB 18-47-98 has been completed before performing this Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

QtyPart No.Description1604777555ABValve Spring

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Replace all Valve springs as described on page 9-83 of the 1999 Neon service manual (Publication No. 81-270-0125). NOTE: ALL VALVE SPRINGS MUST BE REPLACED AS A SET WHEN INSTALLING THE REVISED SPRING. FOR REFERENCE, THE REVISED SPRING IS 49.3 MM (± 1 MM) IN LENGTH WITH A SINGLE GREEN OR YELLOW STRIPE
Old 01-01-2006, 10:23 AM

I pulled the plugs and cylinders 1 and 4 are swimming in oil So if anyone has a good shop that will do rings to start with I would greatly appreciate it

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.