Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle Tech Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle

How Do I Wire A Tach?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Out Of Towner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How Do I Wire A Tach?

I've been looking all over for a wiring diagram for an APC tach I got. I have a '97 SOHC Neon, I dont know if I should be using the single green wire or the dual-black wire to get my RPM's. Also where should these wires connect? I'm no idiot when it comes to cars, I just need to know which wire to use & where it connects. I had no problem doing it on my Honda since it had a distribtor, but a Neon has no distributor so I'm lost. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Skittle on crack!

not sure abour your car specifically , but in general you need a tach driver, MSD 8912
Old 12-04-2005, 08:07 PM

its not hard to do, i just cant remember exactly. how many wires does the tach have total? mine had black(ground) ,green(signal wire),red(power), & white(think it was lights on +12v), i had the red and white twisted together. take out the dash board, remove 4/5 screws for the cluster, take it out, there are 2 things that the cluster plugs into, the tach wire is on the one to the right(passenger side), then from here i dont remember....put the green wire onto each connection until the tach gets a signal.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:35 AM

Just buy a used instrument cluster that already has a tach. Simple plug and play. Can swap out the odometer as well so that you keep the miles on it. 30 min job at most.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Valrico31
Just buy a used instrument cluster that already has a tach. Simple plug and play. Can swap out the odometer as well so that you keep the miles on it. 30 min job at most.
that definately works also. or i have a tach mounted on a pillar with a dual gauge pod moleded above the tach that will fit right on the driver side A pillar.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Out Of Towner

I decided to ditch the tach & just get a new cluster. Looks alot cleaner... Thanks for all the help guys!