Chassis & Suspension Tech Cages, braces, suspension set up and more

Need to have my diff welded.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to have my diff welded.

Not sure if i posted this in the right section.I have been looking around and it seems as no one does this type of thing.Im just asking around to see anyone would be willing to weld my diff shut for me.I will pay for booze and the diff oil as well as some $$.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM
legend behind the cowl

Should not take more then 1 hour. we can mig them solid on the car, but if you have the diff out of the car we can Tig weld them. either one takes about the same time and should be fine.

call email or PM 813-333-1100
Old 11-14-2008, 03:39 PM

welded diff is awesome. you can't really guarantee anything against breakage. there will always be some limiting point of something.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Banned

Alright could i get a rough quote on it?Ill take the diff out and the spider gears as well.Im still thinking about it about either welded or lsd or a locker.But it looks like if i can get 13's then i might turn this car into a dd drift car heh.As im getting tired of going in straight lines.Im amazed by how well this car stays controlable with blown suspension hahah.

Just give me a rough price idea.I know ill need to get fuilds and so forth.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 AM
legend behind the cowl

one hour is $89, I give A TR discount on top of that, of $25 so $64 since it's all labor and no parts there is no state tax either.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

Can i drive the car there and have it done?Or do i need to just take out my diff out of the housing and bring it with me?From my understanding you slide the axles out and get the 2 gears out and weld em to the main gear for the driveshaft though im not 100% on that.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 AM
legend behind the cowl

your going to get a much cleaner and better job if the diff itself is removed from the car. it can be Mig welded in the housing, while installed on the car, but really, it's not the best method since you can't really dump as much heat into them. and without lots of heat and good penetration you increase your risk of having the welds fail, and or gears break. Now that being said, I can remove the diff for you. clean it, weld it, and reinstall. but you'll have to pay shop rate for all that labor. you'll save yourself a lot if you can remove it.

Either way If you want to go cheap and quick, I can do it on the lift, if you want to do the extra work I'll support either one for off road use.

another Method we use, that others don't is "pinning" the diff, not only welding the spider gears, but installing pins into the gears and welding the pins. this increases the mass slightly but prevents failure, since there is additional support between the axles.

But by far the best way is to remove the Pinion Gears and weld the side gears to the diff housing. this does 3 things. 1 elminates breakage almost completely 2. reduces the weight of the entire diff assembly, and 3. allows more fluid volume in the diff casing. of course this involves removing the diff, seriously cleaning and some additional shop time. but it's almost 100% foolproof.

but this must be said.. are you SURE you want a welded diff? it's not street friendly and can break things.

(Standard disclaimer) Racing is a dangerous activity, any modifications performed are intended for competition purposes only and the end user assumes all risk and liability.

Last edited by treekiller; 11-19-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

Well im prepared for axles to break but that doesn't happen in these cars till 250-300hp.Long as it will last to those power levels then im happy.Its not gonna bother me about the ass end coming out more or braking tires in small turns or what not.

So all i gotta do is pop the back plate off and take the axles out and disconnect the center shaft then in theory the differential should pop out.

$64 for having it all welded with the pins and so forth?As i need this diff to be as strong as possible.Also whats your address so i can do a mapquest to get there.Hope you not to far from me lol.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:12 AM
legend behind the cowl

Shop address is 4011 21st avenue east, Suite 111 Tampa 33605.

we are small and hidden, but I like it that way.

$64 is correct if you bring me the diff if you want me ot remove the pinion gears, then it's only $20 more but it will allow more weld surface area and a stronger diff.

813-333-1100

Last edited by treekiller; 11-20-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 PM

How would you compare welded differentials to limited slip differentials?