Chassis & Suspension Tech Cages, braces, suspension set up and more

lowering the Mirage.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 PM
is TampaStock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering the Mirage.

sold the car.

nvmmmmmmm

Last edited by B_Ray; 12-22-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 PM
** I ♥ Old Skool **

Yes, It is do-able, But answer these questions and then we can look over how to go about getting your car lower the right way.

1)How low are you looking to go?
2)Are you concerned of the ride quality after lowering?
3)How Many Miles are on the Stock Shocks that are currently on the car?
4)What's your budget?
5)Where do you do most of your driving?
6)Any Specific brands of Springs in mind?
7)Stock wheels & Tires or aftermarket's on the car now?

slam.poke.drop.tuck.dope
Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM
legend behind the cowl

Will respond with more detail below

Last edited by treekiller; 08-30-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 AM
is TampaStock

Originally Posted by Outkasted24
Yes, It is do-able, But answer these questions and then we can look over how to go about getting your car lower the right way.

1)How low are you looking to go?
2)Are you concerned of the ride quality after lowering?
3)How Many Miles are on the Stock Shocks that are currently on the car?
4)What's your budget?
5)Where do you do most of your driving?
6)Any Specific brands of Springs in mind?
7)Stock wheels & Tires or aftermarket's on the car now?

1. 2 inch drop.
2. not really just as long as it is not horrible.
3.86 grand
4.only a few hundred
5. the city sometimes i ride on the HW over to gandy and 4th and such
6.Megan Lowering springs???
7i have gotten new tires about a month and a half ago but i am riding "steelies"
Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM
legend behind the cowl

The CJ4A Chassis is competent and in my not at all humble opinion was related to the best Lancer Evo ever. the 6.5

The Megans seem like an okay choice with Front Spring Rates of 335# and rear of 250#. not race car stiff but better then most, and WAYYYY stiffer then stock.. For refrence the Tein S-tech spring kit is only 168#F and 129#R (and they usually run 10-20% over stock) so the megan is going to handle A LOT better and be less likley to bottom out.

However with power comes responsibility, when springrates of 250% of stock are used the way the chassis and suspension responds to bumps changes dramaically, i won't bore you with complex mathamatical equasions to explain optimum damping cruves, but the simple fact is stock just won't cut it, neither will most basic aftermarket peices. in addition your shocks have to work extra hard since they have a Heavy lump of steel bolted to them in the form of a steel wheel, increases in unsprung weight increase damping requirements quite a bit.

but your main concern is to find a part with a lot of Rebound damping to control those springs and keep you from flying into a tree on the outside of a spirited corner.

Since price is a Major object I would recommend the Koni Yellow's (strut inserts for the front, and eye to pin's in the rear) There are lots of exotic hardware available for this chassis (it was a very popular racer in it's day) but Koni is about as good as you can get within a modicum of a budget. unless you can find some old stock Ralliart dampers, but I think they have been out of production for a while.

Koni Pricing

8610-1343 Sport (Front Strut application)
$166 each

Rear application
80-2714 Sport (Rear Shock assy)
$122 each

Now there is a KYB AGX application for the rear,
which you can buy cheaper then I can directly from summit
KYB 741033 - KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks and Struts - summitracing.com

But for $68 more I'd get the koni's all around, it's a better damper. Plus it's Rebuildable/Revalvable so it can grow with you and the car if you ever decide to race it and you'll never need to buy another shock. plus if you buy locally you don't have to pay shipping. so the diffrence is less then $60

Last edited by treekiller; 08-30-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:05 AM
is TampaStock

Originally Posted by treekiller
The CJ4A Chassis is competent and in my not at all humble opinion was related to the best Lancer Evo ever. the 6.5

The Megans seem like an okay choice with Front Spring Rates of 335# and rear of 250#. not race car stiff but better then most, and WAYYYY stiffer then stock.. For refrence the Tein S-tech spring kit is only 168#F and 129#R (and they usually run 10-20% over stock) so the megan is going to handle A LOT better and be less likley to bottom out.

However with power comes responsibility, when springrates of 250% of stock are used the way the chassis and suspension responds to bumps changes dramaically, i won't bore you with complex mathamatical equasions to explain optimum damping cruves, but the simple fact is stock just won't cut it, neither will most basic aftermarket peices. in addition your shocks have to work extra hard since they have a Heavy lump of steel bolted to them in the form of a steel wheel, increases in unsprung weight increase damping requirements quite a bit.

but your main concern is to find a part with a lot of Rebound damping to control those springs and keep you from flying into a tree on the outside of a spirited corner.

Since price is a Major object I would recommend the Koni Yellow's (strut inserts for the front, and eye to pin's in the rear) There are lots of exotic hardware available for this chassis (it was a very popular racer in it's day) but Koni is about as good as you can get within a modicum of a budget. unless you can find some old stock Ralliart dampers, but I think they have been out of production for a while.

Koni Pricing

8610-1343 Sport (Front Strut application)
$166 each

Rear application
80-2714 Sport (Rear Shock assy)
$122 each

Now there is a KYB AGX application for the rear,
which you can buy cheaper then I can directly from summit
KYB 741033 - KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks and Struts - summitracing.com

But for $68 more I'd get the koni's all around, it's a better damper. Plus it's Rebuildable/Revalvable so it can grow with you and the car if you ever decide to race it and you'll never need to buy another shock. plus if you buy locally you don't have to pay shipping. so the diffrence is less then $60

thanks for such a helpful response.

im waiting 2 weeks for my pay check to come in and i should have that set up in no time.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM

Wink

It would be better though if you also replace your shocks along with the lowering springs.