The Champagne Room Members Only Forum

South Carolina = Mecca of Motorsport...

Old 10-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Captain Catastrophe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Carolina = Mecca of Motorsport...

I don't usually (or ever) post about what I do/where I go/etc...but this time I had to at least post a little something for you guys.

I've been in Greenville, SC since yesterday afternoon and will be here till monday morning...Playing around at a magical place called the "Laurens Proving Grounds". A 'testing' facility owned by Michelin located in the middle of f'ing no where just outside of Greenville.

Over the past year and a half, I've worked at many many major motorsports facilities and tracks but nothing has ever compared to the awesomeness of this place.

Due to the place's strict 'No Photos' rule, I can't really take a ton of pics...mainly just little teasers. Over the weekend I'll try to get permission to get some on-track pics and video but this is all I managed to take today without getting in trouble.

The only HINT anyone around here has about the place is the modest sign at the entrance. The compound is surrounded by hills and trees and is virtually invisible to the public. Most of the locals don't even know of it's existance.

This is an arial shot of the facility. There is another small skid pad to the left where the picture is cut off, but for the most part..that's the whole place. It's nuts. Several skid pads, every possible degree of turn, a full 'wet track' with low profile sprinklers hidden within the surface to keep a constant layer of water on the SEAL COATED track..makes for lots of fun times

Snapshot of the info poster of the main building we're using. It's beautiful. Mega modern with ton's of fun electronics and technology.

Actual tire from space shuttle Discovery. This tire was on the shuttle's rear right gear when it landed in 1998. 36 ply rubber tire, f'ing huge...f'ing heavy.

Garage...our Competition Coupe in the far corner.

The property is VERY secure with constant security patrolling. The main gaurd post actually has a shotgun mounted to the wall. We have to carry radios at all times and 'announce our presence' whenever leaving any area of the facility and when entering another. Mega security...it's nuts.

The access roads between all the different tracks/areas have *no speedlimit*. Although "if exceeding 100mph, a helmet must be worn"...LOL.

Anyways...I know I never post much anymore, I pretty much live in hotels nowadays. Have barely been home in the past 3 months, and won't see much of home for another 2-3 weeks...Just thought I'd share some cool stuff with you guys.

I'll try to get some more interesting pics of the place over the weekend(hopefully without getting my cam taken by security)...there's tons of areas I've yet to check out.

<3 Kyle
Old 10-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Tom
Strict Machine

take me with you....please?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:22 PM
The Hoff

badass... i am super jealous..

2009 Ford Escape - Stock Toy Hauler/DD

2007 Lexus RX350 - Stock Wife Hauler

2009 Kosmic - The Toy - 125cc Vortex Super Rok TAG, (For Sale - $2800)

2007 Intrepid Silverstone - The Faster Toy - CR125 6-Speed
Old 10-06-2005, 05:17 PM
lifelong learner

kyle this makes you pretty much my hero. always.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Omnipotence

So what is it you actually do with SBRS?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM
madpom

kyle do you know how much i hate you right now
Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

So bad assed...