The Champagne Room Members Only Forum

How to sell the money pit (aka my car)

Old 08-06-2004, 05:19 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to sell the money pit (aka my car)

The time has come, I believe, to part with my little rice burner. It's been fun and all but I just need something different. Now comes the hard part. The car is modified so I doubt the dealership will take it in trade so I'm probably going to go the private seller route. Since I've never had to do this before, does anyone have any suggestions? For instance, should I allow potential buyers to come to my house and view the car? How do I handle test drives? What do I need to do to make the sale legal and protect myself from a flakey buyer?

Also, anyone have any ideas how much I can get for the ol' girl? She's a '98 in great shape with quite a bit of suspension mods and a 2000 Integra R motor. I was thinking around 8k.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:35 AM
Wherever I may roam...

I wish you the best of luck.
Try HT, someone there might see its value and pay what you want. Or you could put my motor in it, give me yours and still get about the same amount
Old 08-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Originally posted by John
Just like any other car man, tell em what it's got, have them come to your house. If they want it, make them put down a deposit and sign a contract stating if they back out, they lose the deposit.

I find it rather ironic that you, of all people, are wary of flakes!
Good luck with selling the car though man, have you given thought to a replacement?
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Remind me to slap you around a little next time I see you. :o

Replacements...hmmm. I've narrowed it down to:
- 2005 WRX Sti
- 2004 350Z
- 2004 Acura TL
- 2004 Honda S2000

List might grow/shrink depending on test drives. I drove the 2004 WRX Sti and wasn't really impressed with it. Hopefully the steering in the 2005 knocks my socks off. There really aren't too many cars out there under 40k that I really want.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:12 AM
drives euro trash

Just how far from stock is the car? Any chance you could trade some of it locally for stock parts plus cash? Perhaps then you could try the trade-in route.

My Focus had TONS of aftermarket goodies before I sold her to Carmax. We spent an entire day turning her back to stock. Luckily I had local interest in my parts, so I traded all my aftermarket stuff for stock plus cash. Heh...by the end of the day we had a Focus cams swap down to 45 minutes start to finish.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:33 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

yeah put a stock motor back in it then sell the type R swap!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:16 PM
madpom

strip it and sell it stock
might take some time but you can sell the parts
Old 08-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Livin' in Seattle

You guys make a good point but...I've spent so much time and effort taking her to where she is today. I don't know if I could just mutilate her like that. I owe her that much.
Besides, I don't think I'm asking too much for her. With the popularity of the Arrrr motor and the Civic chassis, chances are this is some kid's dream car. If I could have bought this car when I started out for 8k I would have jumped at it. Bleh, I'm preaching to the choir right? I'll see how things go. Need to bust out the carwash and a digicam this weekend I suppose.