Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

New to The Bike Forum

Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 PM
rpwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to The Bike Forum

Ive been around TR for some years although not very active though. I finally bought my first bike about a month ago an 03' R6. Seems like a pretty solid bike, just need to change out the cam chain tensioner (any pointers?). Luckily i'm mechanically inclined and already downloaded the service manual for it.

Thinking of: Removing brand/make decals, smog block off, maybe lower it an inch, smoked puig DB, Paint wheels (bronze?)...

Dont have to many pictures of it, but this will do:

-Randy

2001 BB6 - 2003 R6
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Resident Ginger Kid...

Originally Posted by rpwolf
Ive been around TR for some years although not very active though. I finally bought my first bike about a month ago an 03' R6. Seems like a pretty solid bike, just need to change out the cam chain tensioner (any pointers?). Luckily i'm mechanically inclined and already downloaded the service manual for it.

Thinking of: Removing brand/make decals, smog block off, maybe lower it an inch, smoked puig DB, Paint wheels (bronze?)...

Dont have to many pictures of it, but this will do:

-Randy
Need a thick skin around this crowd... Why does the bike need to be lowered?
'

2005 Joe Gibbs Silverado # 0396
1988 Monte Carlo SS 5.3/T56 and too many mods.
2003 Honda 954RR
Old 09-25-2011, 05:25 AM
weezin the juice

If you can't reach the ground, there are other ways to go about helping yourself than lowering it; try shaving some of the seat foam a little. If you are doing it because you think it will handle better you are mistaken, these bikes are made like this for a reason, so keep it the stock height and learn how to ride it.

Gear up and enjoy.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
BELOW M3

Welcome to the 03 R6 club. Shiney side up!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Lowering a bike is used for drag racing! Period! If your front end shoots up in the air, learn to launch better or lower it.

Lowering a bike takes away from the bike handling, and ground clearance. Your bike will not turn in as nice, and when you do get faster stuff on your bike starts to scrape like pegs, exhaust etc.

Many squids (rookies) lower bikes for looks, they think it looks cool. But really imo it looks like shit, especially when you lower and stretch a 600cc. If your a car guy, its the same as putting huge slicks on a 6cyl mustang.

As far as cam tensioner OEM is the best for you. But a lot of guys do run APE manual cam tensioners, there not a quiet as oem but there solid and priced good.

Smog blocking or the pair valve certain bikes benefit from it, and certain ones do not.

My opinion just ride the bike, if you want to mod anything buy a nice set of tires. Bikes like this will help make you a better rider, take it easy and just enjoy the ride.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 PM
rpwolf

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of lowering it because id like to get my feet flat on the ground, never thought of shaving the seat some. I might even make myself a seat since i have the means and materials...maybe. I consider myself knowledgeable when it comes to suspension (mostly in cars) but i understand what happens with bikes and since there isnt really a need to lower it, i wont.

Clawhammer, I love your R6.

I was considering an APE tensioner, i think i'll just stick with Yamaha. Ive heard mixed reviews about the smog block off mod in different bikes, I guess ill find out. Definitely want some good tires, even on my car, cant stand shit tires.

2001 BB6 - 2003 R6
Old 09-25-2011, 03:22 PM
BELOW M3

Thanks. I can't put both of my feet down flat. Left foot on the ground and right foot on the rear brake is all you need, unless you're a midget.