Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Need help

Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Bred2Run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

i have a 1992 yamaha fzr 600...my problem is, is that the bike sat for a year or so and just went to start it the other day and couldnt start the bike. It has a new battery and pluggs so i kno its not the battery. I checked power to coils, pickup and ignition swtich and everything checked out good. Now for the fun part......i tested the cdi box and had power but no spark at all. I hit the cdi box a little and messed around with it and got spark to the pluggs when grounded to the block. While cranking over i get spark sometimes and sometimes i dont. But if i crank it over and tapped the cdi box or mess with it at the same time the spark comes and goes. So my guess is that the cdi or digital ignitor is faulty???? Or could it be something else other than that????

Has anyone else had a symptom like this before? any help would be appreciated
Old 03-20-2011, 11:02 AM
hates change

did the bike sit with fuel in it?

Sounds like the carb could be gunked up...id try a rebuild...fix the issue of no spark...no fuel and no spark...youre fucked.

also check the fuel pump...are you getting it to prime? Is it even working...hows the filter on it?

start with the basics...diagnose the spark issue...which you have seemed to do...replace the box.

then go down the fuel route...check the carb and check the pump...pop the fuel tank off and clean it out..make sure there is no rust in it to prevent further clogging!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Col. John Hannibal Smith

Originally Posted by Signal7cbr!
did the bike sit with fuel in it?

Sounds like the carb could be gunked up...id try a rebuild...fix the issue of no spark...no fuel and no spark...youre fucked.

also check the fuel pump...are you getting it to prime? Is it even working...hows the filter on it?

start with the basics...diagnose the spark issue...which you have seemed to do...replace the box.

then go down the fuel route...check the carb and check the pump...pop the fuel tank off and clean it out..make sure there is no rust in it to prevent further clogging!
+1 I would suggest scrubbing and cleaning the carb... Pull it... Sit it in cleaner... Then scrub the shit out of it. Just a guess, but in my experience if a bike sits and then won't start it is usually due to gunked up dirty carbs.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
mi speeks gud

Intermittent electrical issues usually equals a short somewhere. You'll need to trace everything, it may even be in the plug wires themselves. fzronline is a bike specific forum with a lot of knowledge, just make sure to put your specific bike including where you're located since the fzr name related to a couple of different bikes depending on where in the world you are and the membership is international.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Tit Pic Enforcer

I'm with signal and stealth about the carbs.

"KingOfAllBlacks" Y'all suck. I'm taking my new stolen bike,
My chicken and all of your white woman and going home

"When a man has done his best, has given his all, and in the process supplied the needs of his family and his society, that man has made a habit of succeeding."
Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Bred2Run

i guess i forgot to mension that carbs arent gunked up and the bike sat empty and just put fuel in it......Jus tryin to figure out the intermitant spark issue.

Just bought a cdi box or digital ignitor which ever one you call it and goin to install it in the bike tomorow......i'll let you kno my results..... hopefully ther good
Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Col. John Hannibal Smith

Originally Posted by GT5.0HO_STANG
i guess i forgot to mension that carbs arent gunked up and the bike sat empty and just put fuel in it......Jus tryin to figure out the intermitant spark issue.

Just bought a cdi box or digital ignitor which ever one you call it and goin to install it in the bike tomorow......i'll let you kno my results..... hopefully ther good
Good luck!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 AM
Bred2Run

Woohoo just finally got my bike started last night.......You guys would never guess what the problem was......after 3 weeks of testing and tracing wires and power supply i found out the cdi i box was not the issue. The problem was the flasher relay.....for some reason the maine ground source runs through that relay and thats why i was getting the intermitant spark......So i removed the faulty or bad flasher relay and wala it started up everytime after. Just have to clean the carbs and im off to riding...
Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Tit Pic Enforcer

Cool man good luck. Be safe out there!

"KingOfAllBlacks" Y'all suck. I'm taking my new stolen bike,
My chicken and all of your white woman and going home

"When a man has done his best, has given his all, and in the process supplied the needs of his family and his society, that man has made a habit of succeeding."
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Blood In Blood Out

Congrats