Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Bike Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/bike-tech/)
-   -   Need Information (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/bike-tech/70317-need-information.html)

The Latin Spice 09-02-2002 08:35 PM

Need Information

Alright, the closest i've been to riding a motorcycle was a scooter, lol. But lately i've been reading about them, and well, I want to know how should i go about getting one, what models should I look at?. What courses should I take. Any websites you guys know? Any information that could guide me in the right path will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Oscar

727rider 09-02-2002 09:30 PM

even though i don't own a bike yet. i can tell you don't get anything bigger than a 500cc bike. i'm not saying you'll do sunts the first day and you can't control yourself but on a 500cc you have more room for error if you do something stupid. look for a ninja 500, gs500, ex500 all under 2grand if a few years old. goto bigginerbikes.com and goto sportbikes.net they have a good new rider forum. also read the book twist of the wrist.

Dave 09-03-2002 05:17 AM

Yes those are all very good beginer bikes .. you can also look into some Seca-II
There are some local corses around town . Call the DMV and ask for rider courses they'll cost you 175 buck in most cases for beginer and 75 for experienced . If you need any other info let us know :)

Joker 09-03-2002 06:10 AM

buy a vespa, they rock!

svtjesse 09-03-2002 08:04 AM

Well I am really starting to like the Aprilla RS50, awesome bike, great in the turns, just not that fast!!!

Oscar, check out http://www.beginnerbikes.com/

That is a great info source, also invest in a nice helmet and some pants, I got some from http://www.chaparral-racing.com/ they have a great selection of riding jeans.

Welp, hope this helped nad have fun, ride safe....

Jesse

Bob22b 09-03-2002 04:55 PM

Take the MSF at the DMV, should get you a discount on your insurance AND>...............

Holy CRAP! you might just learn the LAWS!!!!)$&(*$*(&@$*&

NINJA 500r's ROCK hell ya I want one so badly :)

RicerX 09-03-2002 07:51 PM

Originally posted by "Bob22b"

Take the MSF at the DMV, should get you a discount on your insurance AND>...............

Yeah, first time rider...definitely take the MSF course.
I took the course at Armwood High School. You can look them up in the phone book and ask to talk to the Adult Ed department. You have to go in and pay up front, and sign up for the course. Its a 3 day course. One day in the class room, and two days outside on the bike in the parking lot. It was really easy...everyone passed.

As for a first bike...
Everyone told me to not get a 600 for my first bike. Well, being as stubborn as I am...I went out and got a 1997 Katana 600. It was a steal at $2900...so I had to.

I dont think the bike is over powered for me at all. I think a 600 is an okay first bike...if you arent too small, and if you arent immature about riding. I was careful when I first got it, and I dont go around poppin wheelies n shit. Im 5'11, 150 lbs, and a 600 is fine. And because Katanas arent really the most powerful of the sport bike family, they make perfect first bikes. Plus the seats are relatively comfortable compared to GSX-R's, CBR's and Ninjas.

Just my experiences...

Gibbon 09-04-2002 09:12 AM

Originally posted by "RicerX"

Originally Posted by Bob22b

Yeah, first time rider...definitely take the MSF course.
I took the course at Armwood High School. You can look them up in the phone book and ask to talk to the Adult Ed department. You have to go in and pay up front, and sign up for the course. Its a 3 day course. One day in the class room, and two days outside on the bike in the parking lot. It was really easy...everyone passed.

As for a first bike...
Everyone told me to not get a 600 for my first bike. Well, being as stubborn as I am...I went out and got a 1997 Katana 600. It was a steal at $2900...so I had to.

I dont think the bike is over powered for me at all. I think a 600 is an okay first bike...if you arent too small, and if you arent immature about riding. I was careful when I first got it, and I dont go around poppin wheelies n shit. Im 5'11, 150 lbs, and a 600 is fine. And because Katanas arent really the most powerful of the sport bike family, they make perfect first bikes. Plus the seats are relatively comfortable compared to GSX-R's, CBR's and Ninjas.

Just my experiences...
hey osKar. :D
Take the MSF course. DON'T get a 600 or above for your first bike (especially if you've never riden before). Make sure you wait quite a while before you try to ride with anyone on the bike. Heed my warnings muah mexican friend. ;)

Dave 09-04-2002 10:07 AM

get to know the bike you get for atleast a few months of constant riding before you let someone on .. and they need to know how to ride as well . Take the course and do it together

The Latin Spice 09-04-2002 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info guys, about the MSF course, do you have to bring your own bike for it?. or can you take it as well.. learning experience like drivers ed?