Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Rider Down - 4/22/09 University of Tampa Area

Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Science McGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rider Down RIP Will King 4/24/09 University of Tampa Area

Originally Posted by The Minaret Online(UT News)
A 23-year-old University of Tampa student is in critical condition at Tampa General Hospital with life-threatening injuries after he was in a motorcycle accident on Wednesday afternoon.

According to Janelle McGregor, Tampa Police Department media relations assistant, officers were dispatched at 2:52 p.m. to the scene.

Patricia Sewell, 73, was traveling east on Grand Central Avenue when she was struck by a motorcycle driven by William King, who was traveling south on Hyde Park Avenue, when he crashed into Sewell's 1988 Toyota pick-up truck. The crash occured at the intersection of the two streets.

King was in critical condition Wednesday night at TGH.

Sewell will not be cited for the crash.

In the last two years, two UT students have died in motorcycle accidents and another was seriously injuried in a scooter accident less than a block from Wednesday's crash.

Check back to The Minaret Online for updates to this story.
The Minaret - UT Student Suffers Life-Threatening Injuries in Motorcycle Crash

I personally knew the guy. Good guy. Quite a few of us are in shock as he is also dating one the other nursing students. A few of the nursing students went to visit him in the NeuroICU last night and he is indeed in very critical condition. I will disclose information in a more appropriate manner further down the road in respect for his family and loved ones.

The city / downtown area is definitely not the safest area to ride.

Ride safely out there.

-Al

Just an easy rider on 4 and by 2...

Last edited by Alberto411; 04-24-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 AM
oh WTF

wtf was was she not cited!
Orderd Sept. 29th, Built Nov. 8th, Delivered Nov 18th!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Never Surrender

vague details..not knowing full story ftl...hope he recovers quickly and well
Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 AM
U and your 3rd dimension

Originally Posted by WTFchuck
wtf was was she not cited!
Means the rider was being an asshat on the road, and karma bit him. That is a busy area around 3pm, to be doing stupid shit on a bike at.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
U and your 3rd dimension

Motorcyclist hospitalized after accident with pickup on Hyde Park Avenue

Motorcyclist hospitalized after accident with pickup on Hyde Park Avenue

TAMPA - A collision between a Toyota pickup and a motorcycle hospitalized the 23-year-old biker with life-threatening injuries and closed Hyde Park Avenue from Kennedy Boulevard to Grand Central Avenue for hours Wednesday afternoon, according to the Tampa police.
At 2:54 p.m., William Henry King, a University of Tampa student, was riding his 2003 Yamaha motorcycle south on Hyde Park Avenue at a high rate of speed when the eastbound 1988 Toyota pickup tried to cross the road on Grand Central Avenue, said Janelle McGregor, a spokeswoman for the department.
King hit the front left panel of the pickup and was taken to Tampa General Hospital where he remained in critical condition Wednesday night. Police said the pickup driver, 73-year-old Patricia Sewell, wasn't injured and would not be cited in the accident.
Robbyn Mitchell, Times staff writer
Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Science McGee

Originally Posted by vertigo
Means the rider was being an asshat on the road, and karma bit him. That is a busy area around 3pm, to be doing stupid shit on a bike at.
I was not there so I cannot verify nor refute anything you're saying regarding his riding. But please refrain from any further disrespectful comments as there are a lot of people who were impacted by this incident, myself included.

Since the authorities stated that he was 'traveling at a high rate of speed' and the driver of the truck was 'not cited,' one would have to agree with the fact that he was probably at fault for the accident. That area in question does get pretty bad traffic-wise and with high rates of speed from all forms of motorists traveling westbound from Kennedy Blvd turning onto Hyde Park Blvd. The bottom line is that there is a guy who does not have a good prognosis at the moment.

The most traumatizing part of the incident is that several people who knew him witnessed/heard the collision as they live in the dorms nearby to the scene of the accident. His girlfriend, as I mentioned who is a student nurse, happened to be driving down the same road some time after the accident saw the aftermath, recognized his bike and immediately went to TGH.

We'll sadly be seeing a lot more 'rider down' threads as the weather starts getting more and more conducive to riding.

Again, all I really have to say is: Ride Safely...

-Al

Just an easy rider on 4 and by 2...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM
U and your 3rd dimension

Originally Posted by Alberto411
I was not there so I cannot verify nor refute anything you're saying regarding his riding. But please refrain from any further disrespectful comments as there are a lot of people who were impacted by this incident, myself included.

Since the authorities stated that he was 'traveling at a high rate of speed' and the driver of the truck was 'not cited,' one would have to agree with the fact that he was probably at fault for the accident. That area in question does get pretty bad traffic-wise and with high rates of speed from all forms of motorists traveling westbound from Kennedy Blvd turning onto Hyde Park Blvd. The bottom line is that there is a guy who does not have a good prognosis at the moment.

The most traumatizing part of the incident is that several people who knew him witnessed/heard the collision as they live in the dorms nearby to the scene of the accident. His girlfriend, as I mentioned who is a student nurse, happened to be driving down the same road some time after the accident saw the aftermath, recognized his bike and immediately went to TGH.

We'll sadly be seeing a lot more 'rider down' threads as the weather starts getting more and more conducive to riding.

Again, all I really have to say is: Ride Safely...

-Al
I was not trying to be disrespectful, just clearing the old ladies name. I am sure many people saw "74 year old women" and jumped to conclusions. Ultimately, he didn't injure anyone by himself, so he has already his dues for his mistake. I hope he pulls through so he has the opportunity to learn from his mistake.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 PM
they call me baby Jesus

Any accident with a motorcycle they say they were traviling at a "high rate of speed" when in fact they might not have been. they are most likely going by the old fuck that says oooo he was going so fast but she was going 20 less then the posted speed limit.

hope the rider recovers fast
Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
U and your 3rd dimension

Originally Posted by SayWhaa?
Any accident with a motorcycle they say they were traviling at a "high rate of speed" when in fact they might not have been. they are most likely going by the old fuck that says oooo he was going so fast but she was going 20 less then the posted speed limit.

hope the rider recovers fast
if he couldnt stop in time, he was going too fast.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by vertigo
if he couldnt stop in time, he was going too fast.
uh...what? thats not true at all... some asshole slammed on his brakes and my friend ran into him and he was going the posted speed limit. so yeah.... you are wrong.
everytime i read your posts i can't help but think you are a jackass.
a dude is pretty much fucked and you are talking shit about him indirectly.
way to go dude...
I hope he pulls through, my condolences go out to the family.